Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Help migrating MSO2004 files to NeoOffice: Fonts
Help migrating MSO2004 files to NeoOffice: Fonts

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glawrie
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Help migrating MSO2004 files to NeoOffice: Fonts

We use a TrueType font in our presentations. In Office 2004, this Font appears as "HelveticaNeueLT" with Std, Black, Med, etc appended to show weight variations.

In NeoOffice, MSO documents using these fonts report these font names in the font picker - but some other default font is used to render the text. If you look in the font picker, the HelveticaLT fonts are reported in the form "Helvetica Neue LT" followed by information such as "Std 95 Black" or "Std 55 Roman".

Manually changing the font reported in the document to the font appearing in the font picker fixes the font rendering.

See the following illustrations:

Before updating (i.e. what appears on import)

After updating (i.e. once font has been manually reset)

Going through all our documents and finding every instance of this font series (which is one of our standard fonts) and making a manual edit is going to be both time-consuming and unreliable (we'll miss some - as there is no visual differentiation between the various font versions initially in NeoOffice, as all are rendered with the 'default' font).

Is there some way I can speed this process up? Is there a way to set up equivalent font names somewhere? Or a way of searching / replacing the font information automatically (via a script?).

Any help would be much appreciated.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject:

You could probably use the font replacement table to accomplish this; it won't change the Carbon font names stored in the file to Cocoa font names, but it should make the documents display and print correctly.

In Preferences, under the NeoOffice section, choose Fonts. Click "Apply Replacement Table", type or select the desired "from" and "to" font names, and click the green check icon. Then make sure to check "Always" in the table.

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestion. The Font Replacement Table does fix the problem - once I'd worked out how to get hold of a list of what Powerpoint uses as font names... (screen capture the font menu in PPT...).

Is there a way to copy this font table so I can update other machines on our network with the same information? Would be much easier than having to do it by hand each time.

Thanks in advance for your help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:

glawrie wrote:
Is there a way to copy this font table so I can update other machines on our network with the same information? Would be much easier than having to do it by hand each time.

I don't know the exact user preference file the font table is stored in, but you can copy your entire user preferences folder to another machine and that will replicate the same settings. To do this, move your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2 folder on the destination machine and then copy your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2 folder on the source machine to ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2 folder on the destination machine (source = the machine with the replacement table and destination = the machine that you want to copy to).

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject:

Should you decide to take the time to narrow down which preference file (or even which subfolder) the Font replacement tables are stored, please let us know. We keep list of preferences locations in the wiki, but it's not complete; we add locations as we discover them.

Don't worry about it if you decide to must move the entire NeoOffice 2.2. preferences folder.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject:

Since I happen to have a dummy replacement set up with a unique name, and since TextWrangler excels with search of an entire folder hierarchy, I can tell everyone right now that this setting lives in
Code:
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu
Wink

As for fetching the font names MSOffice is using, they should display in the font combobox on the left side of the Impress (and Writer and Calc) toolbar when you're inside the relevant section of text, and you can just copy from there.

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks.

The font display issue not quite as easy - all you see in Impress is the font name from PPT for the element concerned. But you can't see full extent of font names used in PPT there - just the ones for the elements you can click on on that page. To get whole list (so do the whole of the correction in one hit) you need to open office and scan the font menu display. But you can do an easy screen grab of relevant section (apple shift 4) and then park the resulting PNG in preview and edit away...

G.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Smokey; I've added it to the appropriate (English) wiki page.

Lorinda
glawrie
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Since I happen to have a dummy replacement set up with a unique name, and since TextWrangler excels with search of an entire folder hierarchy, I can tell everyone right now that this setting lives in
Code:
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu
Wink

As for fetching the font names MSOffice is using, they should display in the font combobox on the left side of the Impress (and Writer and Calc) toolbar when you're inside the relevant section of text, and you can just copy from there.

Smokey

Hi

You don't happen to be able to let me know where the colour table gets stored? Along with standard font mappings, I'm going to have to define a standard colour table too... Being able to move it as a preference file (or whatever) would be great help.

Thanks in advance if you can help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject:

I believe they are stored as *.soc files in the ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user/config folder.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject:

The color palette information is in this article in the wiki.

Ah, I see Patrick beat me to it, but there's lots of other useful color palette info on that page.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1