Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Help with Urdu and Hindi Languages!!!
Help with Urdu and Hindi Languages!!!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fakhir
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Help with Urdu and Hindi Languages!!!

Dear Members,
I am a new mac user and just shifted from MS office to new office.

In windows environment using ms office i used to type Urdu and Hindi Languages apart from English.

I don't know how to do that in neooffice...

Though I have downloaded the Urdu and Hindi languages from neooffice's language pack....But no Help Sad

Please help me as my job requires me to type these languages (mainly Urdu) very frequently...

Thanks..

Regards,
Fakhir
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject:

I dont know Urdu and Hindi, but I believe you might try this way:

go to the NeoOffice > Preferences menu

expand the Language Settings section by clicking on the little triangle next to Language Settings

Select Languages and check Enabled for complex text layout

in the CTL drop-down select Urdu or Hindi for the Default language of documents.

If that doesn't help, someone else (more expert than I'm Smile) will be able to help you.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject:

Like, Jacqueline, I don't know anything about Hindi or Urdu, but I can add a little more information.

-The language packs only affect the interface language of NeoOffice, not typing languages or spell checking.

To type in Hindi or Urdu you will need to change the Input Menu settings. The Input menu shows up as a little flag on the Mac menu bar. First you need to go to System Preferences and choose International, and click on the Formats tab. Check all the input methods (or keyboards) you need to access on a regular basis. Make sure that "Show Input Menu in Menu Bar" is checked.

Once you've got that set up, you can click on the Input Menu (the little flag) in the menu bar and you can choose your "keyboard."

I don't see Urdu listed in the Input menu tab of System Preferences on my machine, but I found this article on writing in Urdu on a Mac. It includes a link to an Urdu keyboard layout and information on good fonts to use.

I don't see Hindi either, but some more searching revealed that Devanagari, Gujarati and Gurmukhi keyboards are Hindi keyboards, and those are included in Mac OSX.

Some relevant articles from our wiki:

Using Complex Text Layout
Setting the language of a document or section (This second link is part of a longer article on spellcheck. I don't know if dictionaries are available for Hindi or Urdu, but even if there aren't, it would still be a good idea to be consistent about setting the language of your texts.)

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I don't see Urdu listed in the Input menu tab of System Preferences on my machine, but I found this article on writing in Urdu on a Mac. It includes a link to an Urdu keyboard layout and information on good fonts to use.

I don't see Hindi either, but some more searching revealed that Devanagari, Gujarati and Gurmukhi keyboards are Hindi keyboards, and those are included in Mac OSX.

Also note that Lorinda's steps are the steps that you use for typing South Asian languages in any Mac OS X application. For example, after you do the above steps, you can type Urdu, Devanagari, etc. in Safari or the TextEdit application, not just NeoOffice.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1