· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - ESP Ghostscript.mpkg problems
ESP Ghostscript.mpkg problems

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clinttmbg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: ESP Ghostscript.mpkg problems

My
ESP Ghostscript.mpkg
won’t install...

Mac OS 10.1.5
I’ve installed XFree86 and am trying to finish my
OpenOffice.org1.0.3 install.

please help
think I might need a new installer for
ghostscript?
sorry for such a newb question, but any help would be much appreciated
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject:

Hi,
There are a large number of known problems with OOo on system 10.1.x. Most of them are connected with printing, but there is also a problem with the installer. Apple changed the format of the mpkg between 10.1 and 10.2, so packages designed for 10.2 will not be understood by the 10.1 installer.

It is possible to get OOo 1.0.3 to run (OK, limp) on OSX 10.1, but you will have to install ghostscript yourself, and also fondu.

When I did this a year or so back, you could get these from
http://www.rna.nl/ii.html
BUT I've just checked back there and they have dropped 10.1 support for the i-Installer program, and don't keep ghostscript 7 anymore either. If you can find another GUI ghostcript 7 installer on the web, get it (and let us know where you found it) If not, there will be a UNIX-style package (.tar) somewhere, if you are happy with unpacking it from the Terminal.

I still have copies of the 10.1 compatible i-Installer, and the ghostscript and fondu archives, but I have only a DSL connection with no fixed IP address, so you can't just download them from me. Have you got a copy of BitTorrent? That would let you get the other stuff from me, if necessary.

Having said all that, I would STRONGLY recommend you to do what i did in the end, and go and buy a copy of OSX 10.3 Panther. The change from 10.1 is HUGE, and you can run OOo 1.1.2 (latest) or NeoOffice/J (best integration with the OSX environment), neither of which will work AT ALL on 10.1.

Luke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks, sounds like a plan - newer is better.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:

It's not always the case, but here it really is. If you're coming from 10.1, 10.3 will blow you away! Smile We had an iMac that was at 10.1.5 forever and it is so much happier at 10.3! The system is much faster and more responsive, and a lot of the missing holes in the OS have been filled in, including most of the stuff required to run OOo.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject:

One thing you'll note is that the 103GM installers will still allow you to install on 10.1 systems...the 1.1.2 Final installers will actually not allow you to install on 10.1 systems. If you're really interested in running OpenOffice.org on 10.1, you'll need to get the sources yourself and compile. Mac OS X 10.1 was missing several crucial features (such as CUPS printing) that made certain features fragile, difficult, or impossible to implement.

ed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

It's not always the case, but here it really is. If you're coming from 10.1, 10.3 will blow you away! Smile We had an iMac that was at 10.1.5 forever and it is so much happier at 10.3! The system is much faster and more responsive, and a lot of the missing holes in the OS have been filled in, including most of the stuff required to run OOo.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1