Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - About Chinese input method
About Chinese input method

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbook
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: About Chinese input method

Why the OpenOffice just can read Chinese files but can not input Chinese?
davidbook
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: About Chinese input method

I think, If X11 for OSX can input Chinese than the OpenOffice can also.
I fined the way to input chinese on X11 for OSX.
Here
http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/
and here http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/pages/x11.html
But the way to input Chinese on X11 is for linux.
Had Anybody try it work on OSX and succeed?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject:

It's possible that the Asian input methods don't work in OOo; I don't know if they were tested or not.

I just tried and wasn't able to do anything (i.e., no little bars under roman characters and no character suggestion palettes popping up), but my experience with Chinese is limited to helping a friend enable input methods in Windows!

On the other hand, if you don't need any of the 1.1.2-specific features, NeoOffice/J (based on the 1.0.3 codebase at the moment) has very good Asian language support (and better overall integration with the OS); the Chinese input methods appeared to be working as far as I can tell.

Best,
Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject:

One of the big problems is the "locale" issue. There were a number of problems reported as we were going to our final build regarding locales and how internationalization takes place. Since they were unresolved (and are still not fully understood...) the approach was taken that makes the English build compatible with most Romance languages while still being able to run properly on Mac OS X 10.2. This approach breaks input methods for Japanese and, I'm assuming, other Asian languages.

There's a reason why the build is English only...it was mostly tested in English Very Happy

You may want to look around for a Japanese build or a localized Chinese build to see if they have the proper support to work for your input method. The choice has to be made on a source-code level, so there isn't any way to get the OOo 1.1.2 English Final functioning properly for Japanese (and probably the other asian) input methods.

ed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: About Chinese input method

davidbook wrote:
I think, If X11 for OSX can input Chinese than the OpenOffice can also.
I fined the way to input chinese on X11 for OSX.
Here
http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/
and here http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/pages/x11.html
But the way to input Chinese on X11 is for linux.
Had Anybody try it work on OSX and succeed?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1