· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Kerberos
Kerberos

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Kerberos

Hello OpenOffice.org,

I've just installed OpenOffice 1.1.2 on my iMac which is running OS X 10.3.4. When I double-click Start OpenOffice.org, I get a window entitled "Kerberos." The User is "No active user" and the default response is "Get Tickets..." When I select "Get Tickets...," it produces a new window entitled, "Authenticate to Kerberos" with a Name, Realm, and Password. What should I do with this?

Thank you,

Mark Sullivan
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kerberos

Mark Sullivan wrote:
Hello OpenOffice.org,

I've just installed OpenOffice 1.1.2 on my iMac which is running OS X 10.3.4. When I double-click Start OpenOffice.org, I get a window entitled "Kerberos." The User is "No active user" and the default response is "Get Tickets..." When I select "Get Tickets...," it produces a new window entitled, "Authenticate to Kerberos" with a Name, Realm, and Password. What should I do with this?

Good question. It seems you have a custom system environment on your machine. Is this machine a personal machine at home for instance, or is it a company owned machine at work, where maybe a System Administrator has set up the machine up according to company policies?

I'm not a Kerberos user, so I would have do some research to answer your question further.

But it seems we need more information about your software configuration, and an answer to my first question - if a work machine, you should probably contact your System Adminstrator.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]
Mark Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerberos

Terry Teague wrote:
Mark Sullivan wrote:
Hello OpenOffice.org,

Good question. It seems you have a custom system environment on your machine. Is this machine a personal machine at home for instance, or is it a company owned machine at work, where maybe a System Administrator has set up the machine up according to company policies?

I'm not a Kerberos user, so I would have do some research to answer your question further.

But it seems we need more information about your software configuration, and an answer to my first question - if a work machine, you should probably contact your System Adminstrator.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]

Thanks Terry. This iMac is a personal machine. I'm not aware of any customization I've done to the system environment. I'm wondering if OpenOffice is looking for something that is in XDarwin, or equivalent. X11 is installed on this computer in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Thanks again,

Mark
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerberos

Mark Sullivan wrote:
Thanks Terry. This iMac is a personal machine. I'm not aware of any customization I've done to the system environment. I'm wondering if OpenOffice is looking for something that is in XDarwin, or equivalent. X11 is installed on this computer in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Well that's most weird. Are you running Mac OS X Server by any chance?

In all my years of working with many different versions of Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server, OpenOffice.org, and "Start OpenOffice.org", I have never encountered Kerberos.

So we need to find out what is different about your system. Perhaps tell us the history of Mac OS X installs/upgrades on this machine.

Are you connected to the Internet via a cable modem or DSL for example, and does your ISP require you to run specific software?

Regards, Terry
Mark Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerberos

Terry Teague wrote:
Mark Sullivan wrote:

Well that's most weird. Are you running Mac OS X Server by any chance?

In all my years of working with many different versions of Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server, OpenOffice.org, and "Start OpenOffice.org", I have never encountered Kerberos.

So we need to find out what is different about your system. Perhaps tell us the history of Mac OS X installs/upgrades on this machine.

Are you connected to the Internet via a cable modem or DSL for example, and does your ISP require you to run specific software?

Regards, Terry

Terry,

As far as I know, I am not running Mac OS X Server - that is I didn't intentionally install it and I can't find any folder with Mac and Server in the name.

This iMac is about 1-1/2 years old (800 MHz G4) and came with Mac OS X 10.1. I upgraded to 10.2 when it came out and did the same with 10.3. I have updated to 10.3.4 using on-line downloads.

I connect to the internet through DSL (SBC). I have an Alcatel DSL modem that sends its signal through a LinkSys router. The router sends its signal to a Cisco switch that distributes internet throughout my house. To access the web, I simply open my browser (Camino). There is no software I fire up to get on the web.

This is the 3rd time I've tried (unsucessfully) to install OpenOffice. Previously, I had attempted to install OpenOffice 1.0.1 and then 1.0.3. Before installing OpenOffice 1.1.2, I uninstalled 1.0.1 and 1.0.3. As I recall, part of my difficulties in the past involved X11 and/or XDarwin. I installed X11 from the Mac OS disks, but I believe I might have tried to download XDarwin off the web - because OpenOffice still seemed to be missing something it needed (I don't quite remember the error messages now).

Anyway, I'm wondering why OpenOffice is even querying me for the Kerberos information. Does it think I'm trying to be a server? Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks for your help,

Mark
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerberos

Mark Sullivan wrote:
This iMac is about 1-1/2 years old (800 MHz G4) and came with Mac OS X 10.1. I upgraded to 10.2 when it came out and did the same with 10.3. I have updated to 10.3.4 using on-line downloads.

This is the 3rd time I've tried (unsucessfully) to install OpenOffice. Previously, I had attempted to install OpenOffice 1.0.1 and then 1.0.3. Before installing OpenOffice 1.1.2, I uninstalled 1.0.1 and 1.0.3. As I recall, part of my difficulties in the past involved X11 and/or XDarwin. I installed X11 from the Mac OS disks, but I believe I might have tried to download XDarwin off the web - because OpenOffice still seemed to be missing something it needed (I don't quite remember the error messages now).

Anyway, I'm wondering why OpenOffice is even querying me for the Kerberos information. Does it think I'm trying to be a server? Is there a way to disable this?

Sometimes when upgrading Mac OS X it is possible to custom install pieces such that you end up with a mixture of things that don't quite work right.

Unless you know what you are doing, you should probably not mix Apple's X11.app and XDarwin. Particularly if you used a Beta version of X11.app with Mac OS X 10.2.x.

I still have no idea why Kerberos is coming up for you, but you might want to read the following KnowledgeBase article :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107153

and the following FAQ :

http://web.mit.edu/macdev/KfM/Common/Documentation/faq-osx.html

Perhaps it is time for you to do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.3.x, and then re-install your applications and documents.

Regards, Terry
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1