Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 3 aqua - what just happened?
OOo 3 aqua - what just happened?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: OOo 3 aqua - what just happened?

If you look at OOo's new features page under Mac OS X support, you find the following statement:

Quote:
Finally, people like OpenOffice.org 3.0 for Mac OS X because of its very good stability and performance. Reportedly, some Mac users have switched to OpenOffice.org just because of its extremely good stability.

Last I heard, it was still in pre-alpha and pretty flaky. What did they fix so quickly?

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject:

I tend to ignore the marketing hype. After all, the following super new feature has been out in NeoOffice, ooo-build, and OxygenOffice for more than a year now:

Quote:
The cool thing is, while the market leading office suite vendor dropped VBA support and the Solver feature, OpenOffice.org recently introduced limited VBA support and includes a powerful Solver component.

As for stability, I cannot comment as for me, stability is measured by how many users are reporting crashing and hanging bugs. For example, I may think Patch 3 that I released yesterday is extremely stable because several people tested it intensively. However, the reality is that if there are crashing or hanging bugs in it, they won't start being found until at least 100,000 users have installed the patch.

So, what I tend to watch is OOo's IssueZilla for crashing or hanging bugs before I start work on ungrading. OOo did the same before their Beta release and, I assume, they will do the same for the next OOo 3.0 test release.

Generally, the number of crashing and hanging bugs will either jump significantly or very few will be reported. Given that there are only a few new features in OOo 3.0, it makes sense for NeoOffice to wait until until the latter happens.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 3 aqua - what just happened?

Quote:
Reportedly, some Mac users have switched to OpenOffice.org just because of its extremely good stability.

"We've heard rumors of this, but we have absolutely no citations whatsoever to back this up" Razz

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I tend to ignore the marketing hype. After all, the following super new feature has been out in NeoOffice, ooo-build, and OxygenOffice for more than a year now:

Quote:
The cool thing is, while the market leading office suite vendor dropped VBA support and the Solver feature, OpenOffice.org recently introduced limited VBA support and includes a powerful Solver component.

Also, since when has it become standard practice in a "new" features page to list features you put in previous versions? Guess the list looked too short and they felt they needed to pad it.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I tend to ignore the marketing hype. After all, the following super new feature has been out in NeoOffice, ooo-build, and OxygenOffice for more than a year now

Ok, that's obviously a catch-up thing, but does it mean these ooo-build modifications have now been integrated into the main OpenOffice.org source tree?

Best wishes,
Oz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Ok, that's obviously a catch-up thing, but does it mean these ooo-build modifications have now been integrated into the main OpenOffice.org source tree?

For many of the ooo-build changes, the answer is yes. Novell puts a tremendous amount of effort into convincing OOo to accept there changes. Still, OOo has not incorporated any Novell improvements very quickly. Sad

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1