Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Services unavailable - is this X11 or OOo? workaround?
Services unavailable - is this X11 or OOo? workaround?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Services unavailable - is this X11 or OOo? workaround?

I have all my services greyed out and unavailable when I run OOo in X11. Is there a fix to this problem or is that what is meany by "lack of aqua integration" on the web site. I was surprised to even see services in the X11 menu bar but since it is there, I was hoping it would work.

EndNote's authors claim that it can be done. On their Mac page they give instructions for dealing OpenOffice and they include Services.

If there is no fix, are Services available in neooffice/j ?

Thanks
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Services unavailable - is this X11 or OOo? workaround?

guest wrote:
I have all my services greyed out and unavailable when I run OOo in X11. Is there a fix to this problem or is that what is meany by "lack of aqua integration" on the web site. I was surprised to even see services in the X11 menu bar but since it is there, I was hoping it would work.

EndNote's authors claim that it can be done. On their Mac page they give instructions for dealing OpenOffice and they include Services.

If there is no fix, are Services available in neooffice/j ?

Thanks

See my response to the same question at :

http://ooodocs.sourceforge.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5191#5191

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject:

Like Terry said, Services are not available. They're not available in either NeoOffice/J or OOo. In fact, I doubt if they're available in any X11 application and have never seen them in any Java application either...

Applications need to be specially written in order to integrate with Mac OS X services and handle a specific set of Carbon events (or Cocoa equivalents). No one has implemented anything for handling Services. They will probably never be available to X11 applications since they need to be handled in a Mac OS X event loop (which X11 apps don't have).

Your best bet if you need to interact with Services is to keep another application open that is Services-aware, like TextEdit, and then use Clipboard text exchange to move the results around.

ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: End Note

Sorry to post the question in 2 places but when I posted on OOo docs I could not access Trinity. Later when I saw that Trinity had a lot more Mac discussion, I re-posted here.

EndNote claims that you can do RTF document scanning using OOo/Mac files. Elsewhere on the site they give instructions for RTF document scan that involves accessing services in your word processor. I just assumed they means the same Word Processor you generated your files in. Fortunately you can also do document scanning from within EndNote so there is no need for a second Word Processor.

In case anyone is in a similar situation, this is my temporary wokaround (until OOo has the new bibliography database that is planned). This gives the fewest keystrokes possible for entering references.

Inserting References:
- Select the reference(s) in End Note, copy, and paste into Ooo. This gives you the citation in End Note's temporary format. Note: not "copy formatted" just "copy"

Making the Bibliography:
- Save your OOo file in RTF
- From OOo, select Tools > RTF document scan >RTF document scan (you gotta love those interface design gems)
- Select your OOo file and give a name for the new version that will contain formatted citations and a bibliography.

Note: it may make sense to use the RTF scan output for sharing with peers, but you probably want to continue editing the file that contains the temporary citations and no bibliography - at least if you work in an area where you sometimes need to change reference format. The EndNote output would be for sharing with others and publishing only.
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: End Note

guest wrote:
<snip>Editing to correct a mistake made by the OP
Making the Bibliography:
- Save your OOo file in RTF
- From EndNote, select Tools > RTF document scan >RTF document scan (you gotta love those interface design gems)
- Select your OOo file and give a name for the new version that will contain formatted citations and a bibliography.
</snip>

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1