Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - /usr/bin/package doesn't exist on 10.3?
/usr/bin/package doesn't exist on 10.3?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: /usr/bin/package doesn't exist on 10.3?

Quick query...I reached the end of my build, and lo! /usr/bin/package doesn't seem to exist on 10.3 systems. I think that PackageMaker itself may be the replacement for the old command line utility. I'm researching now to see what I need to do to fix the makefiles for Panther builds.

FWIW all of my Jag builds have been spotless Smile Patrick, IIRC, doesn't build on 10.3, so I guess I'm one of the first Wink

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a man page?

OK, flip also indicated that he doesn't have the package command line utility so I'll probably need to do some build system massaging for 10.3.

Does anyone have a man page or a list of arguments the package binary accepts? I found the one for packagemaker:

http://www.hmug.org/man/1/packagemaker.html

but I can't find what the command line args are for package in order to do the translation between old and new. Once I can figure those out it should be as simple as adding a unmae switch into the makefile to do one or the other (unless I'm mistaken)

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a man page?

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, flip also indicated that he doesn't have the package command line utility so I'll probably need to do some build system massaging for 10.3.

Does anyone have a man page or a list of arguments the package binary accepts? I found the one for packagemaker:

http://www.hmug.org/man/1/packagemaker.html

but I can't find what the command line args are for package in order to do the translation between old and new. Once I can figure those out it should be as simple as adding a unmae switch into the makefile to do one or the other (unless I'm mistaken)

ed

I haven't used the command line version of PackageMaker in any version of Mac OS X, and I tried the obvious "/Developer/Applications/Utilities/PackageMaker.app/Contents/MacOS/PackageMaker -help" in Mac OS X 10.3.x, except I got it wrong by using "--help", and it gave me no info (I shut my machine down after that, and didn't want to fire it up again to do it right) Crying or Very sad .

Apparently in Mac OS X 10.2.x, if you just type "package" it will give you help.

Here is a useful page on Mac OS X Installer/PackageMaker information, from the maker of Iceberg :

http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/PackageMaker_Howto.html

Hope this helps.

Regards, Terry
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject:

/usr/bin/package is, fortunately, a simple shell script that uses (hopefully) commonly-available shell commands like "mkdir", "pax", etc.

For now, you may just want to copy the script over from your Jaguar build. Then, while you are doing that, I can put the stripped down commands in the /usr/bin/package script into the NeoJ makefile.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject:

Ed,

I just checked in changes to the NeoJ makefile that does the same steps as the /usr/bin/package command does.

Can you cvs update your workspace and run "make" to see if it works?

BTW, you may also want to rebuild (in a separate terminal, of course) the vcl and setup2 modules after you cvs update but before you run "make" just to be sure that you have my latest setup script and SalLayout changes.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Patrick, again you amaze me! The package replacement stuff works just fine and the resulting package has no problem installing with 10.3.4. Thanks!!!

Now off to starting to do some real work aside from complaining about compile errors Wink

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1