Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Font Preview in Font Name DropDownList
Font Preview in Font Name DropDownList

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjhufford
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Font Preview in Font Name DropDownList

One of the features I love in programs like MS Office 2007 and PS CS3 is that the font style is previewed when you hit the drop down list to change a font. Essentially, it lets you see the font before you select it. Let's face it, not all of us can remember what each font looks like when we've got 50+ fonts installed! Smile

Thanks!
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Moved to NeoOffice Support.

Font preview will require NeoOffice to load all fonts at startup, thus increasing the startup time.

To activate it, go to NeoOffice > Preferences… > NeoOffice > View and tick the "Show preview of fonts" checkbox.
mjhufford
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Beautiful. I love you. Cool
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Font preview will require NeoOffice to load all fonts at startup, thus increasing the startup time.

It can also slow down your machine if you have a lot of fonts as loading all fonts can use up a lot of system memory.

Patrick
mjhufford
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I've got 4 GB in my 24" iMac...we'll see how it does. My wife really digs the feature, so we'll see how much it slows things down. Thanks guys!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject:

mjhufford wrote:
I've got 4 GB in my 24" iMac...we'll see how it does. My wife really digs the feature, so we'll see how much it slows things down. Thanks guys!

You should be OK then. In your case, you should only see a slight pause the first time that you scroll through a set of fonts in the font list. Subsequent viewing the same fonts, even after restarting NeoOffice, will not have any pause until the next time you reboot your computer.

Also, Samwise's warning that startup time will be slower is no longer true. It used to be true but in the current version of NeoOffice the only slowdown occurs when you see the pause that I described above.

Patrick
mjhufford
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
mjhufford wrote:

You should be OK then. In your case, you should only see a slight pause the first time that you scroll through a set of fonts in the font list. Subsequent viewing the same fonts, even after restarting NeoOffice, will not have any pause until the next time you reboot your computer.

Also, Samwise's warning that startup time will be slower is no longer true. It used to be true but in the current version of NeoOffice the only slowdown occurs when you see the pause that I described above.

Patrick

Yeah, I see a pause when trying to scroll through, but it's bearable. thanks again for the tip.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1