· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Feature requests
Feature requests

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlankMike
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Feature requests

No need to respond to me. This is just a request/wish list for future features.

The setup: I run a (free) magazine with a couple of friends and I use NeoOffice as a backup. Normally I just submit the articles to whoever is acting as the editor. In this case I'm the editor and I don't have the same software as the other guys.

I'd like to:
- Have headers and footers display different information from each other occasionally.
- Turn on headers and footers at a certain point in the document (eg. skip the cover and TOC).
- Define the location of page 1 of the document.
- Have the columns per page start and end at different points in the document (eg. if I have an article with computer code I'd like it on a page with a single column as opposed to other articles which can be in three column mode).
- Occasionally have larger graphics span multiple columns (with text wrap appropriate to the article of course).

On other matters... This is a good project worthy of some support. Producing a free magazine does not result in large profits (we can afford a large fries at McCardboard once per year). Although I can not contribute time or funds, I can give you folks a full page ad for a single issue (free). I get lots of spam in the account I registered with so you should use something like "NeoOffice ad" as the subject. The next issue will be put together during the first weekend in August and released shortly thereafter.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Feature requests

BlankMike wrote:
- Have headers and footers display different information from each other occasionally.
- Turn on headers and footers at a certain point in the document (eg. skip the cover and TOC).
- Define the location of page 1 of the document.

I think NeoOffice can already do these. All three work by inserting a page break in your document. Then, different contents and page numbers in the headers and footers can be assigned to each section.

In your case, say you want the first two pages to have no headers and footers and the you want to have the third page be page 1 and start have headers and footers on that page. Here is how you do it:

1. Position the cursor at the very start of the third page and select the Insert :: Manual Break menu

2. In the dialog that appears, check the Page Break option, select First Page as the style, check the Change Page Number checkbox, set the text field to below at to "1", and click the OK button.

3. Make sure the cursor is still after the page break that you just inserted and select the Insert :: Header :: First Page menu to display a header and Insert :: Footer :: First Page to display a footer. Note that selecting these menus will display a headers and footers that are unique to pages after the page break. Also note that if you put the cursor in these headers or foots and select the Insert :: Fields :: Page Number field, the third page will have "1" as the page number.

4. Move your cursor back to the first or second page and either delete the content in the headers and footers or deselect the Insert :: Header :: Default and Insert :: Footer :: Default menus to remove headers and footers from the first two pages.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
- Have the columns per page start and end at different points in the document (eg. if I have an article with computer code I'd like it on a page with a single column as opposed to other articles which can be in three column mode).

You can achieve this by creating Sections and putting your different articles in them (Insert::Section in the menu) - each section can have different margins, columns etc. which you can define when you create the section, or edit later.
Quote:
- Occasionally have larger graphics span multiple columns (with text wrap appropriate to the article of course).

You can do this too - insert the image you want, then ctrl/right-click on it and choose Picture from the contextual menu. Then in the Type tab, change the anchoring to Anchor to Page. You can then drag the image around and the text in the columns will wrap around it - you can change the spacing around the image in the Wrap tab of the same dialogue.

Just as a suggestion, it's always good to bring something up in the Support forum first if you're not sure whether NeoOffice does it, as more people are likely to benefit there from discussions about how to get NeoOffice to do things. You can always make it a feature request once it's clear that it's not there already Smile.

- padmavyuha
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1