Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - iPod touch take 2, or how A. doesn't care about retail here
iPod touch take 2, or how A. doesn't care about retail here

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: iPod touch take 2, or how A. doesn't care about retail here

I just bought myself a new iPod touch. It's been a month since the new software upgrade was announced, and the Apple reseller where I bought it just received a new batch of iPods, with new packaging. So he assumed these were the new models, with the applications, and so did I.

Well, no! It turns out that this iPod was built in 2007 and came with the 1.1.2 firmware, and no apps. Now I have to pay for them (the lack of apps wasn't reflected in the price, like in stores where they sell their stock of old model), and of course, since I can only get it through iTunes, need a credit card (which I still don't have - but that's my fault).

But come on, the store where I bought it just got this iPod a week ago, three weeks after Macworld. How can Apple still deliver "new" old iPods to their resellers so long after the announcement (and not tell them whether they're new or not)! That surpasses me…

So much for being able to check my mail without having to use my Mac Sad

The Safari browsing experience is great though. Much better than iPhoney, which doesn't come close to an iPod/iPhone, and doesnt make it a very useful tool when it comes to optimizing a website for vewing on this device…
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Oh that's just outright awful that it wasn't one of the "new" ones. I still can't believe Apple had the gall to charge to "upgrade" the software to include things they already had made available on the iPhone, a.k.a. the iPod Touch with less memory Smile

I do agree that the Safari implementation on the iPhone/iPod Touch is pretty slick. That's what really hooked me on the device. It's great having a full browser. trinity and other sites just didn't like the mobile Opera and the other limited browsers on the Q and Windows Mobile devices Smile

I hope the SDK comes on out so I can work on getting an SSH client. Then my life will be complete. Yes, I know that already exists for MIDP devices, but generally the browsers on crackberries can't compare to mobile safari.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Oh I still can't believe it. I'm not against the idea of charging for the new software, but not telling your resellers whether what you send them is new or old just seems stupid.

Only positive thing is that it reminded me I will have to apply for a credit card sooner or later. Now I have to do so before I can enjoy me email on my iPod…
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I still can't believe Apple had the gall to charge to "upgrade" the software to include things they already had made available on the iPhone, a.k.a. the iPod Touch with less memory Smile

Yay for Federal accounting regulations Razz

Getting a new old one really sucks, though Sad

Smokey

Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Oh I still can't believe it. I'm not against the idea of charging for the new software, but not telling your resellers whether what you send them is new or old just seems stupid.

The retailers should know by the product number on the box.

First rev is always XXxxxLL/A.

Second rev is XXxxxLL/B.

and so on.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Mine is an A, obviously.

However, receiving a delivery of old models three weeks after the announcement of the (immediate, online) availability of a new model is not great…
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject:

did you try calling apple? just tell them what happened, i suspect that you can get the update for free.

or hell, take it back and get another one. =D
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
did you try calling apple? just tell them what happened, i suspect that you can get the update for free.

or hell, take it back and get another one. =D

I'm not going to return it, but I may call Apple tomorrow.

This was written on the iPod, BTW Very Happy
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Rock!

Apple Retail has 4 day return policy; I hope the European reseller can t least do the same.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1