· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Spacing & Indents with Footnotes
Spacing & Indents with Footnotes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Spacing & Indents with Footnotes

James3359 wrote:
What follows assumes you are working with Left to Right text. You will need to reverse it for Right to Left Text.
[...]

Can we get this added to the Formatting Footnotes article in the wiki?

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Adding to the wiki

I've had a look at the Wiki entry for footnotes to see whether I might add something. I'd value some feedback first about how much to enter. Some of the information that was needed here is more general information about paragraph formatting. AFAICT this information is not separately available on the Wiki nor can I see it on the OOo wiki, nor in the NO User Guide.

I would have thought it would be helpful to have a general guide to Paragraph Formatting with subsections on each element - one of which would be Indents and Spacing. Presumably one could set up a framework page for that and just put in the Indents and Spacing leaving the other elements to be completed as and when people have inclination/opportunity. Alternatively since Indents and Spacin is a pane that can be accessed via either Paragraph Formatting or Paragraph Style Formatting it could be a page on its own with a reference to the fact that it can be pulled up in either of these ways. Then in the existing Footnotes page something could be said about spacing etc with a link to the page dealing with Indents and Spacing. The oddity/feature about footnotes is the way the number in the footnote behaves as if there is an invisible automatic tab character inserted between the number and the footnote. This deserves a specific explantaion in the Footnote entry, I think.

Some note probably ought to appear on each page about the difference between using Paragraph Formatting which just changes the individual paragraph and Paragraph Style Formatting which changes the automatically applied style.

I'm willing to have a go at setting this up as I am registered for the Wiki - but it would be the first time I have done anything this substantial with it.

Any comments/suggestions welcome [ETA] including whether I should repost this on the NeoWiki Development forum.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject:

Generally speaking, I think your proposed approach sounds fine to me.

I don't have any specific thought on whether a "Paragraph Formatting" page or an "Indents and Spacing" page would be better, but I do wonder if there are enough "gotcha" or confusing things about either of those that they warrant pages? That is, generally in the wiki we've been documenting things that aren't obvious in the program or are confusing or are a specific series of tasks to get a result (e.g. Lorinda's Base tutorial and many of Jacqueline's math(s)-related pages). I just don't know enough about those panes to say.

Rather than repost these in the NeoWiki development forum, I'll just edit my prior post to contain a link to the "original" topic and then split the topic, taking my "let's get this in the wiki" and subsequent posts off into the wiki forum.

Edit: I should add that I know at least Lorinda is away for a bit, so it may be a bit before we get some input from the other wiki editors....

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Editing the Formatting Footnotes page

OK. I've put some time in on the page. I've tried to follow the style guidelines for what I have done and lay out the text to make the process as intelligible as possible. Probably the final section "4. The separator line..." needs a little bit of tweaking to incorporate style guidelines - but my head was beginning to spin by that point.

This is my first ever go at editing the wiki so please feel free to comment/ make suggestions.

Do I need to do something to indicate that this is a new version and the translations apply to previous versions and/or that this now needs fresh translation?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing the Formatting Footnotes page

James3359 wrote:
OK. I've put some time in on the page. I've tried to follow the style guidelines for what I have done and lay out the text to make the process as intelligible as possible. Probably the final section "4. The separator line..." needs a little bit of tweaking to incorporate style guidelines - but my head was beginning to spin by that point.

This is my first ever go at editing the wiki so please feel free to comment/ make suggestions.

Looks good; thanks! I made a few slight tweaks and applied more of the style guide to the rest of the article (a never-ending task with older articles!).

I did re-verify that the "Footnote" paragraph style controls both the layout of the footnote text content and the formatting/appearance, and that "Footnote Characters" only controls the number. Either that, or something is really messed up in my Neo.

James3359 wrote:
Do I need to do something to indicate that this is a new version and the translations apply to previous versions and/or that this now needs fresh translation?

Generally we rely on the translators to follow the wiki's Recent Changes page (or to watch pages they're interested in keeping updated) for this, so there's no special notification you need to provide.

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing the Formatting Footnotes page

Thank you for the tidying up and tweaking. Using the prefName template makes things much clearer. It just is a bit complicated to get a grip on.

sardisson wrote:
I did re-verify that the "Footnote" paragraph style controls both the layout of the footnote text content and the formatting/appearance, and that "Footnote Characters" only controls the number. Either that, or something is really messed up in my Neo.

Oops my bad Embarassed, I don't now how that one got through. Theorizing ahead of my data while writing and forgetting to check.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Editing the Formatting Footnotes page

James3359 wrote:
Thank you for the tidying up and tweaking. Using the prefName template makes things much clearer. It just is a bit complicated to get a grip on.

Yeah; every so often I have to go back and re-review the Style Guide myself Wink

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1