Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OO installation guide for non Mac person?
OO installation guide for non Mac person?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: OO installation guide for non Mac person?

I have inherited an iMac and wanted to put OO on it to relieve the pressure on the clone as far as kids homework etc is concerned. So I found this file with a .bz2 extensions and frisbeed it over the the Mac.

The Mac says open it with what and the only thing that seemd appropriate was a stuffit prog and running that seemd to produce a file with a .bz2.1 extension and clicking that gets a huh? response.

I think I'm doing something wrong.

I have reasonable experience with clones, Amigas, minis and mainframes, however, is there anywhere an installation guide for cretin level Mac users?

Lu <luber@sci.alphalink.com.au>
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Let me start with the perhaps insultingly obvious question: is the iMac running at least Mac OS X 10.2?

You can check this by going to the "About this Mac" item in the Apple menu on the left side of the menu bar. This will also tell you if it meets the memory and processor speed requirements--see the online version of the readme.

Beyond that, if sounds like you either have a corrupt ooo112_osx_final.dmg.bz2 or the version of StuffIt Expander is too old (I think our impression here was that the version of Expander that shipped with 10.2 supported bzip2 compression). You can verify the former by checking the md5sum using the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal). For the latter, you can either get the most current version of StuffIt Expander or use the command-line bunzip2 to expand the file via the Terminal:

Code:
bunzip2 /path/to/ooo112_osx_final.dmg.bz2

or type bunzip2 and a space and drag the file to the terminal to fill in the path and hit return.

As far as a guide goes, the installation of OOo on the Mac is supposed to be a simple process that even minimal-skilled Mac users can follow (decompress file, mount disk image, read readme and check for system reqs and X11, run installer), so there's no simpler guide than the readme. If you run into problems during the install itself, there's a FAQ with solutions to common issues: Installing OpenOffice.org 1.1.2.

Hope this helps,
Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Another problem you may encounter is that not all of the mirrors are properly set up with the MIME type for bzip files. When you click on the download link, you may get some garbage text in Safari. If this happens, hold down the Control key when clicking the link and use "Download linked file as" and save it somewhere, then drop it on Stuffit Expander to expand the file.

For the curious, bzip compression was used because it shaved an additional 20 megs off of the gzip compression Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1