Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - suggested donation amounts? or fund raising goals?
suggested donation amounts? or fund raising goals?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark5
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: suggested donation amounts? or fund raising goals?

Been using NeoOffice Calc for about 4 years. I love it! and I just starting to get into the Forms features now. They're terrific! Someday... SQL and online databases! "Woo-HOO!" says this-here slow learner.
Just wondering if there are any goals for collecting funds, at least on a single user level.
I've only made 2 or 3 meager donations so far, but in the interest of doing my part, I thought I'd just ask how much one might be expected to contribute on, say, a yearly basis.
Nothing to do with fairness, or fear of eventual commercialized versions of this software, or...
well, yes. All to do with that. I keep remembering how I felt when Claris went by the wayside. Maybe because I wasn't buying enough upgrades.
Question Shocked Question
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:

Not speaking for Patrick or Ed, but I guess that you should give what you can or feel it is worth to you - IF you feel you can. I am not sure that there are 'any goals' as such; but just trying to keep the old NeoOffice ball rolling.

There are people that use it and never contribute a penny. Fine. It is free and out there for the download and use. There are people that really like and appreciate all that Neo offers and also the excellent tech support and rapid bug fixing that Patrick and Ed provide here. And that they (Patrick and Ed) actually do visit here a lot to help out and find problems so that the ongoing process of fixing stuff for better use of neo by all of us. Personally, I have never seen a more active role by any developer anywhere than what Patrick and Ed provide here.

There are people that really believe in the project and the developers and so contribute what they can when they can.

Patrick also reminds people that just contributing to the forums at whatever level of help you can is also vital to neo and the project.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by K-9 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:

K-9 summary of how we feel about donations is a good one. Of course, the "give what you can and what you think it is worth to you" is a bit squishy so here is some data that may help: our current level of support and pace of new development requires a bit less than US$0.50 per user per year so a US$10 donation essentially covers the cost of 20 NeoOffice users for a year.

Only 1% or 2% of users donate, but since most donations are between US$5 and US$25, we are able to cover all of our current operating costs. Also, since our donation revenues peak shortly after a new release, we save any short term rise in donations to ensure a consistent level of support and development effort during the low donation periods.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject:

Sorry for the 'Squishyness'. (Must be from squishing all of the bugs in my garden this time of the year! Heh! Heh!) Very Happy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject:

BTW, since a small percentage of users fund NeoOffice, as time goes on we are trying to find ways for our donors to help us steer our development efforts. Right now, we are looking at adding the ability for donors to vote for new features. More details about this program are in the following topic:

https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6312

Patrick
mark5
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:

I wish I could afford to donate what i think Neo's worth to me.
How's that for squishy.
Thanks for the advise and info.
I'll continue with ny meager donations ("between US$5 and US$25") but I'll try send more frequently.
Glad to hear that costs are covered.
mark
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I donate beer and sake to Ed. Wink
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject:

Those donations always welcome as well Smile