Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Form and fields from 4 tables
Form and fields from 4 tables

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerambyxdata
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Form and fields from 4 tables

Like in the sample of birds, I have 4 tables with relationships:
SubFamily, Tribe, Genus and Species

No problem about the relationship when I ask for a query with fields of the 4 tables.

But when I want a form from this query, it's not possible to modify, add or delete data.

I try with a form from the table species only and no problem.

Thanks a lot for your help.....

Just another thing, how it's possible to increase the speed when you use the button "fin records" on a form. I have more than 33 000 records so you can imagine...

Sorry for engish, I'm french.

Norbert
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Form and fields from 4 tables

Cerambyxdata wrote:
No problem about the relationship when I ask for a query with fields of the 4 tables.

But when I want a form from this query, it's not possible to modify, add or delete data.

With databases, doing a query with multiple tables will, in most cases, will create a temporary table. A temporary table is created when you have any "one to many" relationships between tables in your query.

When a query creates a temporary table, it is not editable as all changes would be made to the temporary table, not the underlying tables that the temporary table was constructed from.

The simplest way to avoid creating a temporary table is to create a separate input form for each table.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject:

Forms based on queries don't allow you to edit the data, I'm afraid. (Actually, most queries aren't editable)

It sounds like you probably need to use a series of subforms. That will let you edit the data. This wiki article discusses how to add a subform to a form without using the wiki. It is the process that must be used to add more than one subform to a form. [Note for others who read this thread: the link is to the French article; the English version can be found by clicking the word "English" in the box near the bottom of the wiki article].

I'm not sure if there is a way to speed up getting to the end of the records. I would suggest you try the subforms and see if that helps. It might help to use Views (essentially a special kind of query). But I don't think you will be able to edit data that way, and I'm not sure if it would help, so I won't go into how to do that now.

I did not have any trouble understanding you, but if you don't know how to say something in English, please feel free to use French. English is my native language, but I'm fairly fluent in French. at least one of our other regulars is French speaking, too. So we can translate your French comments as needed, or explain something in French if you don't understand the English explanation.

Lorinda

P.S. Can you say more about your database? There might be a better way to set up the tables.
Cerambyxdata
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject:

Bonjour,
Depuis 1997, j’ai développé une base de données recensant toutes les espèces et sous espèces de Cerambycidae (Coleoptera) soit à ce jour plus de 33 200 sur Access 1997.

Je souhaite faire partager mon travail gratuitement (free of charges). Malheureusement cela n’est guère possible avec Access. J’ai donc entrepris de transférer toutes mes données sur Neoffice.
Depuis plusieurs semaines j’ai réussi à transférer toutes les tables en conservant les liens. J’ai donc l’intégralité des données. Reste la mise en forme et la conception des forms pour visualiser ou modifier celles-ci.
Voilà l’architecture sous Neoffice : (impossible de coller l'image)

Grâce à votre aide, j’ai réussi à créer un form dit « Fiche Espèce » me permettant de modifier, d’ajouter ou de supprimer les données relatives à la table « Espece » avec un sous formulaire non modifiable précisant les données liées des tables « SousFamille », « Tribu » et « Genre ». Merci beaucoup.
Ci après un exemple de fiche quasiment complète. Il manque un sous form correspondant aux tables GeoEspece et Geographie (pays dans lesquels on peut capturer cette espèce) ainsi que deux boutons donnant accès à des formulaires « Individu en Collection » et « Bibliographie citant cette espèce ».

Par la suite je développerai le menu d’accueil et tous les rapports liés à ces tables.

Encore merci pour votre aide

Norbert

PS je n'arrive pas à inclure des images dans ce message[/img]
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject:

Summary: Cerambyxdata has been working on a database containing information about all the species and subspecies of Coleoptera using Access 1997. He wants to be able to freely share this information, but cannot do so through Access, so he is working on rebuilding the database in NeoOffice. He attempted to attach some screen shots, but was unable to do so.

I have sent Cerambyxdata a private message with information on how to send the database to me, so I can take a look.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject:

Just an update:

Due to the size of the file, it took us a while to find a way to get me a copy, but we have done so. I'm in the process of looking at it.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1