Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - serious ? for you serious Mac techs out there
serious ? for you serious Mac techs out there

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: serious ? for you serious Mac techs out there

I was doing a search on methyltrexate re: an article i am working on for arthritis. I got conned yesterday Google pulled up:

Search Results
Methyltrexate uses
Much device is grouped during this phase If methyltrexate uses entirely uses this group to specialize you with ads you compose angry The compromised ...
www.orquestakamelot.com/libro/smileys/ _images/banned-books-brer-rabbit/methyltrexate-uses.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

either my dumminess or just fatigue I did not read the text-----I clicked the link and some download in progress virus scanner popped up and I could not force quit in time. Anyway - if some dares to open the link to have a look see - did i just get hit with some virus/trojan/spyware? or some such thing? I looked around and did not see anything....I also have not had any glitchiness today either so far on the macbook pro.

Anyway - I feel really weird about getting taken like this after 10 years or so of never getting zapped....

I am curious as to what took place when one click on this - I did not hit OK either on the pop-up dialogue box; but then, I was able to get to Apple force quit and pick the application to force quit. I really hope I am fine but needed a real super user to help me with this inquiry please.

Thank you!

Norman
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I tried the link, and if you were working on a Mac, there should be no problem. After several redirects, a Windows .exe was downloaded:
Code:
setup_100511_3_.exe

92 KB size, and probably not some nice app. As it is a Win32 program, no danger on Mac. If you were working with Windows, well, I really am not geeky enough to know if that malware site had other bad tricks for maybe installing the thing automatically.

On Mac: delete the .exe and fine. I guess.
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:

doctype. I was working on my macbook pro - no windows in this house all macs and 1 linux laptop. I am very grateful and I do appreciate it very much.

where did the downloaded file download to? I have not seen anything in the basic places that I looked. I am curious if it did download it anyway.

Thank you. Anyone else have any thoughts or info it would be greatly appreciated!

Boy was i snoozing on that one!!!
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject:

K-9 wrote:
where did the downloaded file download to? I have not seen anything in the basic places that I looked. I am curious if it did download it anyway.

That depends on OS Version and Browser - I use Safari on Leopard 10.5, so it went to the Downloads folder automatically. Maybe you managed to stop it, or your virus software cleaned it.
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject:

It usually downloads to desktop safari 10.4.11.

It ran a scan and there was some dialogue box that said hit OK - but I never hit Ok so maybe that was the download. I was finally able to force Quit safari.... I do not use a anti-virus app so that is why I posted for some help here from many of you more advanced Mac people here.

Hopefully it never was downloaded.

Boy I feel dumb, dumb, dumb after this experience. Makes me have to be more diligent about what the heck these texts are from the searches i am doing.... That snuck right by me...

Thank you again doctype!!!
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Hey we all do these daft things now and again, the other day I was installing a new printer for my parents and wasn't really paying enough attention so I ended up trying to install Windows 98/ME drivers on an XP machine...took me forever to sort it out afterwards, all because at that one moment I wasn't bothering to read any of the info and instead I was trying to be quick!

Richard
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Richard! I trust the people around here and I had to ask and I also appreciate all of your input here. Trinity forums just seem to function at a much higher level of consciousness than most! Some forums just suck. I won't mention them here... Heh Heh!!! Twisted Evil
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1