Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice FAQ needs updating
NeoOffice FAQ needs updating

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice FAQ needs updating

The Why is NeoOffice separate from OpenOffice.org? section in the NeoOffice FAQ needs updating to take into account that OOo now includes the mac platform (more or less Smile). I guess it could also use some explanation for newcomers as to why, from the Neo developers' perspective, Neo is so worth continuing to develop even once OOo mac is released.

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:

What specifically in the FAQ needs to changed? The point made in the item are basically that by working separately, we can produce better quality, more features, and more responsive bug fixing and support than OpenOffice.org can. That has not changed.

As for your second comment, we are already doing this with new text that will appear on our main page and features page when NeoOffice 2.2.5 is released next Monday. The new text for the main page is in this forum topic:

https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6480

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject:

The FAQ entry refers to 3 platforms supported by OOo - winxx, linux, solaris. Now should mention OSX too, as that adds weight to the 'they've got a lot of plates in the air' point.

The new main page text does indeed say it all Smile - I was just concerned that if folk come to the FAQ page first somehow, they don't get the benefit of the most persuasive arguments for using NeoOffice rather than OOo Mac.

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:

After my post, I was thinking that I could add a new short paragraph in that FAQ says something to effect of:

"Although Sun Microsystems has added Mac OS X to their list of supported platforms in OpenOffice.org 3.0, our Mac OS X code that has been in use by hundreds of thousands of NeoOffice users since 2003 has proven to be extremely stable and, in some cases faster, than OpenOffice.org's much newer Mac OS X code. It required many years of programming and user support effort for us to achieve this level of stability and speed so we will continue to replace OpenOffice.org's Mac OS X code with our code in future releases of NeoOffice."

I can also repeat the gist of this on the main and feature pages.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject:

That reads well. By the way, I'm assuming that NeoOffice 2.2.5 is still based on OOo 2.2.1 code?

I'm asking because I'm in dialogue with some folk who run a website to help mac users who are studying with the Open University (a distance learning university in the UK) about getting them to update their info about NeoOffice (blah blah built on java etc.) and I also want to point them to this latest info about 2.2.5 (and v3 EAP) as soon as the new info is posted, so the mac users get correct info about the differences between NO and OOo (as they mention both).

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
That reads well. By the way, I'm assuming that NeoOffice 2.2.5 is still based on OOo 2.2.1 code?

I'm asking because I'm in dialogue with some folk who run a website to help mac users who are studying with the Open University (a distance learning university in the UK) about getting them to update their info about NeoOffice (blah blah built on java etc.) and I also want to point them to this latest info about 2.2.5 (and v3 EAP) as soon as the new info is posted, so the mac users get correct info about the differences between NO and OOo (as they mention both).

- padmavyuha

FYI. I will also be adding the following line to the "yellow bar" area at the top of the EAP page just above the "starting and ending dates..." lines:

"The NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access Program is planned to start on 15 November 2008"

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I think it is well written Patrick. Sounds good to me even though I am not directly involved in all of this.

yoxi: Devon? as in Totnes-Devon???
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject:

K-9 wrote:

Don't tell me you are living in Totnes, I was there last February..

Best wishes,
Oscar
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject:

No, in the U.S.

I just knew people who used to live and teach at the university there.

you seem to be all over the place. Nice! I am stuck in my Hobbit Hole.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
K-9 wrote:

Don't tell me you are living in Totnes, I was there last February..

Best wishes,
Oscar

You should post your entire conference schedule in Vacation Notices Razz to allow everyone nearby a conference the chance to meet up with you Wink

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
You should post your entire conference schedule in Vacation Notices Razz to allow everyone nearby a conference the chance to meet up with you Wink

I have never met anyone from this forum face to face (AFAIK), though I would like to. As for Totnes, that was a tango workshop, not a conference Wink.

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject:

<del>conference</del><ins>travel</ins>

Wink

Smokey

Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject:

Yoxi: 400 yards from Devon.

Are you escaping from - or trying to get to - Devon ? Either way not much movement in the past few months !
Isn't there a prison in that county ? Plus of course, The hounds of the Baskervilles.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, I was away for the weekend... my house is in Somerset (England), but if you walk 400 yards down the hill and cross a wee river (the river Tone, which ends up going through Taunton) you're in Devon (England). I don't know about local houses of incarceration, I'm afraid Smile. As for escaping, yes... in a couple of months (fingers crossed) I'm moving to Ullapool, which is way up in north west Scotland! Moving up there to live with my girlfriend and be a student for a while - I'm going to be studying 'Exploring the English Language' with the Open University, a distance learning French A Level, and probably a distance learning course in proofreading and copy-editing too. That's when I'm not walking misty-eyed through the hills...

- padmavyuha
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject:

I am envious! Sounds wonderful!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2