Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - uninstalling previous beta before installing 1.0.3gm
uninstalling previous beta before installing 1.0.3gm

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: uninstalling previous beta before installing 1.0.3gm

I read all the docs that came with the OOo 1.0.3gm installation package (hooray! a release!), but couldn't find anything on whether or not it was necessary to uninstall previous betas before installing the 1.0.3 gm release, if so, how to uninstall them, and how to uninstall the 1.0.3gm release should I choose to.

Any pointers to docs and/or information on this? I hunted around on the web site, but no luck. www.ooodocs.org was down at the time.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Yup, I've noticed ooodocs is down as well. It's in a state of transition well, ostensibly I'll be one of its caretakers. That said...

The need to uninstall previous versions of OOo shouldn't be necessary unless you're using one of the "RC" releases. Older versions of OpenOffice.org lived in OpenOffice.org1.0.1....the new one lives in OpenOffice.org1.0.3.

Unless you're planning on using the earlier one or have settings and preferences you need to maintain, you may want to axe it. To do so, there's a half-assed uninstaller that the installer installed, or, you can just simply delete the OpenOffice.org1.0.1 folder. Additionally, you may want to get rid of the file named ".sversionrc" in your home directory.

ed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Great, thanks for the info. I'm guessing then that OOo stores some setting/preference information in ~/Library/Preferences and some under the /Applications/OpenOffice.org<version> directory under the MacOSX port? Would the MacOSX port differ from Darwin in this manner (just an end-user, don't know much about either port, really)?

All I reasonably can guess is that it's been a huge effort to get to this point. I'm very grateful to the developers and to yourself (as a community member) for the concerted effort to get it here.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I'm guessing then that OOo stores some setting/preference information in ~/Library/Preferences and some under the /Applications/OpenOffice.org<version> directory under the MacOSX port?

The only way the ~/Library/Preferences stuff would exist for an end-user prior to the 1.0.3 GM/RC releases would be if they had manually installed the "multi-user patch" from OOoDocs.

This is why I would recommend keeping OOo1.0.1 (or whatever directory it's in) around if you've been a longtime user. You may have preferences and settings you want to keep from OOo 1.0.1 betas! (or you could be like me and not give a rats ass as long as I can still open word documents)

To fully migrate, you will want to do the following:

1) do *not* erase OOo1.0.1 betas/prior as indicated in previous messages.
2) Install 1.0.3 GM
3) Open a terminal. Replace "/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.1" with appropriate path in subsequent directions if you've installed OOo in a non-default place.
4) cp -rf /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/user ~/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/user

Doing that should maintain your preferences across versions. Note that if you've got one of the "RC"s installed or that multiuser patch, you should backup any OOo1.0.1 or 1.0.3 ~/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.orgfoo/user directories before you install and do the above with the backups.

ed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Great, thanks a bunch.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1