· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing
NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo/J et Writerperfect integration

Fridrich,

Anonymous wrote:
The writerperfect is in form of patches on ximian's web
http://ooo.ximian.com/patches/wpd/ If you apply them one by one to the OOo tree, they will create two directories "libwpd" and "writerperfect" and patch some files in other modules (mainly file type detection). Note, you will have to modify the writerperfect/prj/d.lst and replace in the last line "bin" by "lib", in order for the libwpft645mxp.dylib to be copied. I already sent the patch and it should be applied Monday-ish Smile
After that, you will have to put following file: http://ooo.ximian.com/packages/libwpd-snap-20040823.tar.gz in the libwpd/download/ directory of the OOo tree (create if does not exist).

After this, one builds as usual. The result is a pretty recent WordPerfect import filter that can read even WP for Mac 3.0 - 3.5 files. I suppose that during the libwpd-0.8.x, we will manage to support 3.5extended format. It is true that the features converted are not many for WP for mac documents, but we were concentrating the last months more on the API than on the features.

While I would like to include your filter, patching the OOo code using someone else's patches is not something I have the time or desire to do. The primary reason that the Neo/J build is the way it is to ensure that I only need to build the OOo code once every six months or so and to ensure that all changes to the OOo code are separately tracked in CVS.

To put it bluntly, patching the OOo code is a pain if either the OOo code or Ximian's code changes. I already spend far too much time keeping Neo/J buildable with the changes that get committed to OOo's supposedly stable branches.

I would be willing to incorporate Ximian's patches *if* someone like yourself were to create the replacement modules like Neo/J currently does for vcl, etc. Otherwise, I really am not interested in taking on the work of incorporating Ximian's patching process into my build. My list of bugs to fix is already quite full and, when I do have some time, I would rather work on helping Ed get native menus and widgets implemented than fussing with someone else's patches.

Patrick
Fridrich Strba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Neo/J et Writerperfect integration

Thanks, Patrick for your answer

pluby wrote:
Fridrich,
While I would like to include your filter, patching the OOo code using someone else's patches is not something I have the time or desire to do. The primary reason that the Neo/J build is the way it is to ensure that I only need to build the OOo code once every six months or so and to ensure that all changes to the OOo code are separately tracked in CVS.
To put it bluntly, patching the OOo code is a pain if either the OOo code or Ximian's code changes. I already spend far too much time keeping Neo/J buildable with the changes that get committed to OOo's supposedly stable branches.

I would be willing to incorporate Ximian's patches *if* someone like yourself were to create the replacement modules like Neo/J currently does for vcl, etc. Otherwise, I really am not interested in taking on the work of incorporating Ximian's patching process into my build. My list of bugs to fix is already quite full and, when I do have some time, I would rather work on helping Ed get native menus and widgets implemented than fussing with someone else's patches.

First of all, I had the chance to test my week-end build of NeoJ and it works great with the filter incorporated.
Second, I have no problem to try to study your build system, create the appropriate patches and support the WordPerfect filter. The NeoJ builds like a charm for me on a pretty stock 10.3.5.
Third, I understand your concern about the patches being broken when the underlying code of OOo changes. The ximian code is for the while only experimental (the only reason for this is that we did not yet release the libwpd 0.8.x which is on the basis of all). Nevertheless, after the release of the libwpd-0.8.x, the API of writerperfect will by the force have to be frozen. It is enough to patch once the OOo tree, build, and then, you will not have to rebuild anymore. Me, myself, instead of waiting for the cws to die in errors, I just transported the patched OOo code from my X11 build directory into $NEO_HOME/neojava/build, I commented the line in makefile that downloads the 1.1.2fix2 tag and it built without problem.

I want to be clear in one thing. Myself being a developer, I know that spare time is a very very scarce commodity. I do not intend in any way give you any additional head-breaking work. Nevertheless, it would not be very difficult to support it on Mac, since we do it already on Linux and Windoze. In case of changes in the code, one can just do "cd build/libwpd; build; deliver; cd build/writerperfect; build; deliver" since the only module that depends on libwpd is writerperfect and no other module is depending on writerperfect module.

To be clear: I am ready to step-in and support the filter part if you decide to incorporate it. If not, I perfectly understand and accept. Writerperfect may soon land in the 2.0 tree by default Smile

Cheers

Fridrich
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo/J et Writerperfect integration

Fridrich Strba wrote:
To be clear: I am ready to step-in and support the filter part if you decide to incorporate it.

I really hope Patrick and Fridrich can work out a good system. There's quite a bit of end-user interest on the dev@wp.openoffice.org list any time we have some "Mac news," and there's been some interest on the WP-Mac list, too. (Shoot, there have even been about 500 downloads of someone else's WordPerfect converter that only does 5.x documents and doesn't even work! Smile There are also posts at OOoDocs Mac Testing and at OOoForum. There's demand to convert WP docs on the Mac, and at least from what I've seen, the target app is some form of OOo, NeoJ being the cream of that crop Smile

I've been trying to work on filling the gap ad interim (with many thanks to Fridrich for the constant help!) by working on getting a releasable version of wpd2sxw, the stand-alone command-line tool that predates the WriterPerfect effort, ready, but as of yet I've not had enough beta testers that I feel comfortable releasing it.

Obviously the best solution would be to get the (working) integrated WriterPerfect included in NeoJ 1.1 and future OOo (Mac X11) 1.1.x releases. Smile

Fridrich Strba wrote:
Writerperfect may soon land in the 2.0 tree by default Smile

Unfortunately for us, 2.0 is a ways off, 2.0 for Mac/X11 even farther off (2006?), and NeoJ needs the latter before it can become 2.0.

I've "seen" Patrick and Ed and Fridrich and the libwpd team at work for a while now, and my time just building libwpd/wpd2sxw (and figuring out Apple's Package Maker) has made me even more acutely aware of the time issues involved in releasing software (let alone programming it!), so I do understand the difficulties/reasons why including WriterPerfect might not happen, but I do hope something can be worked out. Smile

(And in that hope, I'm off to make a new WP icon for the NeoJ document set Very Happy )

Smokey
jared

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: the patches cannot be downloaded from planamesa

I'm in a hurry, so:

Great work, Patrick. Greetings from Romania, Europe.

Trouble is, from the windows pc at work I cannot access
the planamesa site to download the patches. Any ideas?

jared[/quote]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I fixed more bugs reported against NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 and I have posted "patch-7". This patch contains all of the fixes in "patch-6" plus fixes for the following bugs:

1. Bugs 132, 133, and 139.
2. Implemented saving of fonts when exporting presentations to Macromedia Flash files.

You can download "patch-7" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Alpha_1-patch-7.tar.gz

Installation instructions for the lastest patch binaries are the same as the Neo/J 0.8.4 patch installation instructions available at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install.

Please help the testing effort and file any bugs that you find in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/) or post them in this forum.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I have posted "patch-9" ("patch-8" had some problems). Unless some horrible crashing bug appears in this patch, I will release NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 2 using this patch in a couple of days.

This patch contains all of the fixes in "patch-7" plus fixes for the following bugs:

1. Bugs 132 and 140.

You can download "patch-9" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Alpha_1-patch-9.tar.gz

Installation instructions for the lastest patch binaries are the same as the Neo/J 0.8.4 patch installation instructions available at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install.

Please help the testing effort and file any bugs that you find in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/) or post them in this forum.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Max found a bug in "patch-9" that I felt was important enough to fix before releasing Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 so I have posted "patch-10". "patch-10" will be the equivalent to the upcoming Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 release.

This patch contains all of the fixes in "patch-9" plus a fix for the following bug:

1. Bugs 142.

You can download "patch-10" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Alpha_1-patch-10.tar.gz

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4