Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - No spellchecking, No working language packing
No spellchecking, No working language packing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maraif
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: No spellchecking, No working language packing

I have uninstalled NeoOffice 2.2.4 and downloaded and installed 2.2.5 on my new MacBook OS 10.5.5. Intel Core Duo.
Also downloaded the language packages (Finnish and Swedish) for Mac Intel. Neither the English spellchecking will work in my NeoOffice Writer. My meunu choice is in Finnish. No red underlinings in text. The spellchecking ends with no result (speling erroros exists)
My questinon is
1.Where can I check that the downloaded language packages are activated?
2.Why does not the English spellchecking work?
3.The only language visible in the menu box is Hangul (not activated)

Thaks for any support

maraif
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject:

I am curious why you uninstalled? I just install the new over the old! You need to go into preferences and look into the general Neo options and alsounder writer too. In addition, got to autocorrect under tools in the menu and tweak all settings.

I am not at my mac at the moment so I will check and get back to you asap. On my linux laptop downstairs.

edit:

Under preferences there is also a language settings area you may want to check out.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Neo & Trinity
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: No spellchecking, No working language packing

maraif wrote:

1.Where can I check that the downloaded language packages are activated?

I believe you can check this through System Preferences::International and changing the Input Menu to Finnish or Swedish (or through the menu bar if you have that actvated). Restart NeoOffice and see if the menus appear in the language you chose.

Note: Installing a language pack will not add spellchecking support for a language. To add spellchecking support for a language, launch NeoOffice and select the File :: Wizards :: Install new dictionaries... menu.

There is some more information in this NeoWiki article. In fact I think the NeoWiki article should answer most of your questions.

Quote:
2.Why does not the English spellchecking work?

Look at the following; NeoOffice::Preferences::Language Settings::Writing Aids. Is "Check spelling as you type" selected? If not, select that. Does that help

Quote:
3.The only language visible in the menu box is Hangul (not activated)

I do not think this refers to spellchecking and new languages do not appear here as dictionaries are added.

Let us know if this answers your questions,
--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: No spellchecking, No working language packing

I think this problem is much simpler than the previous posts imply so before you try their steps, can you try the following:

1. Select the Tools :: Options menu. In the dialog that appears, select the NeoOffice :: Languages item.

2. In the options that appear, go to the Default Languages for Documents section in the middle of the window and change the Default setting to English.

Doing the above will make any new documents that you create use English when spellchecking. Do the above steps make spellchecking work in English when you open a new Writer document?

If the above steps work, you can change the spellchecking language for existing documents by opening an existing document, selecting the Edit :: Select All menu, selecing the Format :: Character menu, and in the dialog that appears, click on the Font tab and change the Language field to English.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
maraif
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Finnish spellchecking

Hello K-9 & Narf and thanks for your friendly answers,

1. My answer to the question ”Why uninstall version 2.2.4 ?” On the NeoOffice homepage help for version 2.2.4 there is the suggestion that you should uninstall 2.2.4 because the language package 2.2.5 is linked to NeoOffice version 2.2.5. On the other hand I find this suggestion quite unexpected.

2. In the Menubar/Tools/Options/Language/Language settings/Default Language for documents (or the Menubar/NeoOffice/Preferences) I have changed from Finnish to English (Eire) and surprise, surprise the English spellchecking is working. Thanks for your hint.
3 There is also a comment about spellchecking that indicates that the the solution is “Please note that installing a language pack will not add spellchecking support for a language. To add spellchecking support for a language, launch NeoOffice and select the File :: Wizards :: Install new dictionaries... menu” (Narf, thanks for your hint). You get to the DicOOo internet-page where you find 30 different dictionaries. There is a Swedish dictionary(downloaded and working) but no Finnish dictionary is on the list. My conclusion is that there is no Finnish spellchecking available. At his moment I don't find any use of the Finnish Language Pack Download in my MacBook.
4. The link to NeoWiki and the use of third-part dictionaries e.g. Finnish was to complimate for me. I'm not sure NeoOffice will support the Soikko Mac (Finnish Dictionary).

Thanks a lot

maraif
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish spellchecking

maraif wrote:
1. My answer to the question ”Why uninstall version 2.2.4 ?” On the NeoOffice homepage help for version 2.2.4 there is the suggestion that you should uninstall 2.2.4 because the language package 2.2.5 is linked to NeoOffice version 2.2.5. On the other hand I find this suggestion quite unexpected.

I find this unexpected as well. If you install NeoOffice 2.2.5 over any NeoOffice 2.2.1 through 2.2.4 installation, the existing language packs will be preserved as the language packs in all of those releases are the same.

I cannot find the help that you saw. Can you post a link so that we can put the correct information on that page?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1