Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - There were errors installing the software
There were errors installing the software

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: There were errors installing the software

Trying to install NeoOffice 2.5 PPC on 10.4.11 PPC fully patched

The installer runs and appears to be installing but then says, "There were errors installing the software - please try running the installer again."

I am left with a NeoOffice 2.5 file in the Applications folder, and no apparent installer receipt in Library/Receipts.

This has repeated on several attempts.
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject:

It appears that the NeoOffice-2.2.5 torrent distribution has been compromised.

A download from the torrent has a different md5 than the downloads from the mirrors.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for notifying us. I am checking the binaries on the freesmug.org mirror right now. I'll post in a little bit with more data.

Patrick
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Since my initial install attempt was from the torrent download I guess I have to assume that my system has been compromised by the modified NeoOffice-2.2.5-POwerPC.pkg installer.

Fucking lovely...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Can you post the MD5 checksum for the .dmg file that you have? I am downloading the .dmg from the torrent and if we have the same checksum, I can pore through the torrent download and determine exactly which files are different from the uncorrupted .dmg.

Patrick
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject:

As of now I have the initial torrent download (downloaded at approx 10pmET) with a filesize of 148,030,460 bytes and md5 of 2e929132b26ec3abb099d9bc040375ac

I also have downloads from the mirrors and again from the torrent with filesize of 148,030,460 bytes and md5 of ee15217dae5a2c692f727e0613e519f7
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Oliver_Crangle wrote:
As of now I have the initial torrent download (downloaded at approx 10pmET) with a filesize of 148,030,460 bytes and md5 of 2e929132b26ec3abb099d9bc040375ac

I also have downloads from the mirrors and again from the torrent with filesize of 148,030,460 bytes and md5 of ee15217dae5a2c692f727e0613e519f7

I only get the latter MD5 which is the correct MD5 checksum so if someone fed in a rogue .dmg file, that would be a huge breach as only one mirror seeds our torrent. So, to determine if a breach has occurred and to what extent, can you tell us the following?:

1. What torrent URL did you download from? Did you use the torrent URL from this page?

2. Can you open both of the .dmg files, diff them, and post the output of the diff? Assuming that opening the .dmg files will create two folders - /Volumes/NeoOffice-2.2.5-PowerPC and /Volumes/NeoOffice-2.2.5-PowerPC\ 1 - you can do a diff by launching the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copying the following command into the Terminal application window, pressing the Return key, and pasting the output into this forum topice:

Code:
diff -r /Volumes/NeoOffice-2.2.5-PowerPC*

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Update: This is seeming more like a corrupted download.

I am in the process of trying to isolate the differences between the two different installers. I'm not a geek so I am not be able to make a final determination on this...
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Will try the Terminal diff thing in a minute.
Will that look inside the Archive.pax.gz file?
I have tentatively identified that as being different and I am attempting to extract the files from the two installers and compare them.

Will the terminal diff to all of that?

Yes, I downloaded the torrent from the NeoOffice.org downloads page.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Oliver_Crangle wrote:
Will try the Terminal diff thing in a minute.
Will that look inside the Archive.pax.gz file?
I have tentatively identified that as being different and I am attempting to extract the files from the two installers and compare them.

Will the terminal diff to all of that?

Yes, I downloaded the torrent from the NeoOffice.org downloads page.

The Terminal diff will list the files that are different so that we can narrow our search. If Archive.pax.gz is listed as having binary differences, I'll give you some more steps to determine if the file is merely a corrupted copy or really contains different files.

If the Archive.pax.gz is corrupt and files cannot be extracted from it, then that is good news as it means no harm was done to your system. But the diff is important as we want to make sure that none of the pre- and post-extraction scripts are not different.

Patrick
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject:

It's the Archive.pax.gz file!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Oliver_Crangle wrote:
It's the Archive.pax.gz file!

So now other files were listed as having differences? If Archive.pax.gz is the only one, drag the NeoOffice-2.2.5-PowerPC* volumes to the trash to close them and then reopen the bad .dmg file. Then, in a Terminal window, copy the following command into the Terminal, press the Return key, and paste the output into this forum topic (note: this command should be all on one line):

Code:
pax -z -v -f /Volumes/NeoOffice-2.2.5-PowerPC/NeoOffice-2.2.5-PowerPC.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz

Patrick
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject:

$ pax -z -v -f /Volumes/NeoOffice-2.2.5-PowerPC/NeoOffice-2.2.5-PowerPC.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz

EDIT: deleted file listing since it is apparently too long to be displayed in a forum message.

Last edited by Oliver_Crangle on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I did a diff of file names and their sizes of your output to what is in our installer's Archive.pax.gz and the good news is that the only differences I found are that your Archive.pax.gz is missing many about 75% of the files in our Archive.pax.gz. I did not find any files in your installer that were not in ours and I did not find any difference in file sizes in the files that are in yours and ours installer.

So, I think it is safe to say that running the corrupt download did not corrupt your system and you should be able to reinstall using the uncorrupt installer.

Of course, all of the above is based on the assumption that the only file that you found that were different was the Archive.pax.gz file. If any others were different, let us know as we should examine those as well just to be safe.

Patrick
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Well. this has been a most dramatic evening!
Yes the diff command only reported the Archive.pax.gz as being different.

Just to be absolutely sure, is there a way that I can send the file to you for a complete analysis?

Thanks so much for walking me through all of these steps, Pluby.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3