Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Setting default document type when launching NeoOffice
Setting default document type when launching NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Setting default document type when launching NeoOffice

A frequent feature request that we get every so often is how can NeoOffice be configured to open Calc, Impress, or Base instead of Writer when launching NeoOffice.

I think that this might be a good feature to add to a revived New Features Program is in the following topic:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6312

I was thinking that the number of votes needed should be fairly low if we implement this feature by adding a new "Default Document" menu in the NeoOffice and Dock menus. That menu would have a list of the document types that are already in the NeoOffice menu. Only one of the document types could be checked and the checked document type would be opened at launch instead of always opening Writer.

If we get a lot of posts from other people that are can confirm that this is a feature worth looking at, we can estimate how many votes we will need and can then add it to the New Features Program page when it goes live.

Is anybody else interested in this feature? If so, please let us know by posting a reply to this forum topic.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject:

A recent post in the Support forum prompts me to suggest the option of launching NeoOffice and having the Templates & Documents dialogue open instead of a new doc. That way, the user can choose to create a new doc of any type, or access templates, or open existing docs, or whatever.

This assumes that the aforementioned dialogue doesn't get replaced in OOo v3 by the annoying 'Welcome to OpenOffice,org' panel that you were suggesting somewhere you could bypass in NeoOffice 3 (I can't seem to find your post on that now).

A preference to either choose one of the main doc types to create on launch OR to display the Templates & Documents dialogue OR to open and do nothing (as with the -nodefault switch) would be most useful and flexible, in my opinion.

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:

FWIW (and that's probably very little), all of those sorts of get-in-your-way, er, chooser, screens remind me of AppleWorks, and that's not a very favorable comparison in my book Wink

Even though most of the time now I'm working on spreadsheets, I'd infinitely prefer Neo opening to a blank Writer document over opening to the Documents & Templates window, some other sort of chooser, or -nodefault.

My 5¢.

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject:

So long as it's an option, I wouldn't mind. I doubt I'd use it, but I wouldn't mind.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject:

Let me reassure everyon that the default behavior in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access will be for an empty Writer document to open.

All that I am proposing is that we copy the existing menus in the NeoOffice (Text Document through From Template...) into a new NeoOffice :: Default Document menu that people. By default, Text Document would be selected giving the current behavior.

The only change would be that if a user found this out-of-the-way menu and checked Spreadsheet or From Template..., NeoOffice would execute that menu item instead of opening an empty Writer document.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:

I was definitely suggesting the T&D dialogue as an option, not as a default!

My 1 pence worth (a bit less than 2¢) is that if I had the option to set NeoOffice to new-calc-sheet-on-launch, you can bet I'd spend the next week wanting writer docs instead Confused.

I'd personally much rather have it launch docless, but if the next best thing is a choice of new doctype on launch, then that's a good thing to have, I reckon.

- padmavyuha

By the way, OOo v3RC3 takes ages to create a new doctype for the first time after launch - over twice as long as NeoOffice on my machine.
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: NOMu

seems like a neat idea but honestly too much extra trickiness doesn't seem necessary. NOMu works unbelievably well for my purposes especially after my upgrade from the ole ibookg4 to a shiny new macbook! however....let the masses decide Neo's fate, keep up the good work and open-mindedness guys!
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: NOMu

gromOSX wrote:
seems like a neat idea but honestly too much extra trickiness doesn't seem necessary. NOMu works unbelievably well for my purposes especially after my upgrade from the ole ibookg4 to a shiny new macbook! however....let the masses decide Neo's fate, keep up the good work and open-mindedness guys!

You have a very good point. I keep forgetting about NOMu. If NOMu has already solved this problem, there really is no need for Ed and I to implement a different solution.

Would it be better for us to drop this idea and just recommend NOMu to our users instead? Do this frees up time for Ed and I to work on other new features that our donors may cast their votes for.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:

FYI. One possibility we could do is to include NOMu with NeoOffice 3.0. I don't think NOMu is open source so I have contacted the developer to see if there is any interest in doing this.

Is that something people would like and, at the same time, would not annoy people?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps it could be an option in the installer? I have little need for it myself, but I suspect it could be very useful for a lot of people.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Perhaps it could be an option in the installer? I have little need for it myself, but I suspect it could be very useful for a lot of people.

Yeah, this is my goal: to not have to display the Start Center. Like you, I think the majority of NeoOffice users use Writer as their primary document type and the Start Center was an attempt to please the Calc and Impress users. But, by adding the Start Center, it will do so by punishing the Writer users.

If NOMu is too intrusive or is not open sourced (I assume the author would lose some donations by open sourcing it), then maybe my original proposal that started this topic is worth a second look?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject:

I'm not fond of programs installing things in my menu bar that I'll never use (particularly if those things would be re-installed with every update), so count me against bundling NOMu.

I do think the proposal at the start of this thread is the best solution I've heard to this problem, so if you're able to engineer it, it has my vote Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1