Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Is Base networkable with multiple users?
Is Base networkable with multiple users?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damienm3
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Is Base networkable with multiple users?

I have to use VMware Fusion and access in our office for a database that is networkable for multiple users. Bento would be great but no network, Base would be great but for how many records we would have in one table it crawls! I do use Base for all of my smaller tables and store the database on the network but have not tested if more then one person can work in a database at one time? Is this possible? My office will not pay to upgrade to filemaker at 1200 dollars! Is there another option?

Thank you for reading this.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject:

You cannot use the embedded HSQLDB engine over a network. It is designed for use on one computer.

You can use Base as a front end for a MySQL, PostgrSQL or similar database, in which case the network issue is not a problem.

I have no experience using any of these engines. You might try perusing the Base forms at the OpenOffice.org Community Forums. These issues are frequently discussed there, and there are several friendly experts available there.

Lorinda

Last edited by Lorinda on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
damienm3
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for all you have done!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
You can use Base as a front end for a MySQL, PostgrSQL or similar database, in which case the network issue is not a problem.

I should add that we MySQL and PostgresSQL are free and are "real" databases that enforce login and run over a network without the need to have files in a shared folder.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1