· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Typinator issue
Typinator issue

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skladko
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Typinator issue

Anybody using Typinator for fast typing?
I have been using it for ages in combination with NeoOffice but after upgrading to 2.2 Typinator inserts the shortcut key together with the abbreviation i.e.:
when typing "pp" which should result in "PETER:" this appears in NeoWriter:
"pPETER:". Quite annoying.

It wasn't happening before and only happens in NeoOffice and no other app.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject:

Can you check if NeoOffice's "autocompletion" feature is turned on? My first guess is that if you upgraded from NeoOffice 2.1 to 2.2.5, some of your user preferences were replaced with default values.

To turn of autocompletion, select the Tools :: Autocorrect menu, and in the dialog that appears, click on the Word Completion tab, uncheck the Enable Word Completion checkbox, and press the OK button.

Does that fix the problem?

Patrick
skladko
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't help. Still the same result - 1 letter of the abbreviation left in the text. Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:

OK. My next guess is that there is a conflict between how Typinator feeds keystrokes to NeoOffice and our fix for some complex text bugs for certain languages.

If my guess is correct, changing the version of Apple's Java that NeoOffice uses might make this work like older versions of NeoOffice. To change the Java setting, select the Tools :: Options menu and select the NeoOffice :: Java item. Wait a minute for the available versions of Java to appear and if two versions appear, click on the one that is unselected, press the OK button, quit NeoOffice, and restart NeoOffice.

Does this change anything?

Patrick
skladko
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject:

There was just one JRE version 1.5.0_16 so I couldn't choose any other. I tried to add different versions from similar location but unsuccessfully.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Do you have a download link for Typinator? If so, I can try to see if this problem is fixable.

Patrick
skladko
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:

You can download it from ergonis.com. They've got fully functional demo. Just the number of abbreviations is limited.

Thank you for your effort once again.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject:

I installed Typinator on my Mac OS X 10.4.11 and 10.5.5 machines and I could not reproduce this issue. I created a new entry in Typinator that expands "pp" to "PETER:" and it worked without any problems.

When you select the Apple :: About this Mac menu, what Mac OS X version is displayed? Also, what keyboard layout are you using (I use U.S. English QWERTY).

Patrick
skladko
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I always use the most recent system including the recent patches for NeoOffice. Now it's 10.5.5. As I said I didn't experience this issue before. I'll try "clean install" the system and will report on the issue if it continues bothering my life Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject:

skladko wrote:
I always use the most recent system including the recent patches for NeoOffice. Now it's 10.5.5. As I said I didn't experience this issue before. I'll try "clean install" the system and will report on the issue if it continues bothering my life Smile

Before you do that, can you try the following steps? These steps will force NeoOffice to create a new set of user preference files with default values:

1. Quit NeoOffice
2. Move the following folders if they exist. Note: "~" means your Home folder:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.1

3. Restart NeoOffice

Does doing the above change anything?

Patrick
skladko
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Did that before but no it didn't change the issue
skladko
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject:

And as long as I need the NeoOffice for my job I'll report on the issue soon.

But there's another thing bothering me: I'm experiencing the same issue on two computers - iMac and MacBook that aren't linked in any way...
Hmmm...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject:

What language is your Mac set to use? Maybe this problem only occurs with non-U.S. English QWERTY keyboard layouts?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Also, can you install the following test patch and tell us if there is any change? I was using the code in this test patch when I was testing Typinator earlier today:

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-1-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-1-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
skladko
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject:

after installing the patch - no change.
to answer your question: I have English as the default language and all other languages are off.

but if everything works fine on your machine it should work on mine too. Can you tell me which files except the Neo app itself to erase so that i get rid of all the stuff associated with neooffice?
then i'll reinstall the OS and then NeoOffice.

are there any known third party system extensions that cause NeoOffice behave erratically? after some time I might have installed some that I already don't remember
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2