Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Create OOo reports with ease with Sun Report Builder
Create OOo reports with ease with Sun Report Builder

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Create OOo reports with ease with Sun Report Builder

Create OOo reports with ease with Sun Report Builder --- not sure if this will be relevant to Neo:

Create OOo reports with ease with Sun Report Builder

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/reportdesign
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject:

I think it will be relevant, as of NeoOffice 3.0. Unfortunately, the website is not responding right now, so I cannot comment further.

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject:

The report builder extension is currently included in my NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access development builds. I have not looked at it its functionality, however.

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject:

sorry this was supposed to be the first link in the original post - maybe the linux machine had issues re: the save function - it is picky and does not work like OS X. feature has issues in linux.

http://www.linux.com/feature/149916
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject:

It is supposed to make building reports easier/provide more options. As indicated above, it won't work with the current Neo version.

Patrick, as an aside, once Neo 3.0 is available, it would probably be helpful to have a list in the wiki of the extensions included in Neo's build. Something you've probably thought of already, but I thought I'd mention it while I was thinking of it.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
It is supposed to make building reports easier/provide more options. As indicated above, it won't work with the current Neo version.

Patrick, as an aside, once Neo 3.0 is available, it would probably be helpful to have a list in the wiki of the extensions included in Neo's build. Something you've probably thought of already, but I thought I'd mention it while I was thinking of it.

Good point. I don't know if all of these "OOo power tools" extensions are the cause, but I found that my Neo 3.0 Early Access development builds have a .dmg that is nearly 215 MB in size! So, I may have to look at only including the most popular extensions to keep the download size reasonable.

The PDF import will probably be popular, but the various slideshow extensions and the report builder probably have a much, much smaller group of users so, if these extensions are what are ballooning the size of our builds, it may be wise to just point to Sun's extension download site.

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Personally i would make Neo as streamlined as you can and have another page where all of the appropriate extensions and add-ons, etc are listed so people can pick and choose what they want/need. at my current humble state of use I do not need a lot. I really only use Writer as such and nothing else, although I have been interested in trying to figure out the drawing App. I do not need any of the other facets of Neo. But it is nice to know they are there and Neo is a comprehensive suite. I would keep all adjunct/ancillary material out of Neo and keep it all available to those that are interested in their respective elements.

just my 1/2 cent!
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject:

K9 -

For people who are a bit more tech savvy than average I completely agree. But sometimes I forget that most people are not very knowlegable about these things.

I'm betting the vast majority of people will want a single download with everything they need?

Richard
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject:

I understand and i am one of the 'basic' dumb people. But having the kitchen sink thrown in keeps the download huge and that was what i was responding to re: Patrick's statement and observation. Maybe keep some of the more basic stuff in there; but don't add more and more and more ad infinitum or ad nauseum... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I think my future wife and next job would be a rather large download...

-Oz
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Now that is funny! I do not care who you are!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Larry the Cable Guy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:

We could probably include this as part of the Feature Comparison page:

Foo Extension: Included | Not Available | Separate Download
Bar Extension: Separate Download | Feature Part of Office 2008 | Separate Download

etc.

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I guess that unless there's a straightforward way to have links always point to the latest version of extension foo/bar/etc., someone is going to have to maintain that page to keep the links up-to-date - some of these extensions are being updated on a pretty regular basis. Or maybe it's not so important, because once they're installed, you can get Ooo/Neo to check for updates - but I was thinking what makes it easiest for non-savvy users to get the most out of the system. I imagine it's hard to second-guess what different users might consider to be 'must-have' extensions when they first install NeoOffice.

Some thoughts about the size and/or appropriateness of extensions (for inclusion in the NeoOffice installer): some extensions are language-specific (dictionaries etc.), some of them are language-irrelevant (no text or user interface, just under-the-bonnet functionality - and I guess these ones are the most straightforward to include, and the most likely to be of universal benefit), and presumably some extensions are localised to a greater or lesser extent - how does that work in terms of size, and in terms of the extension knowing what language Neo is running in? More importantly, if a user installs a language pack on top of their NeoOffice d/l, are they likely to expect those extensions that come with the NeoOffice installation to be localised for their language? I'm just kind of 'thinking out loud' here, about criteria to make it easier to decide which extensions it's worth including in the installer.

- padmavyuha
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject:

some of them are language-irrelevant (no text or user interface, just under-the-bonnet functionality - and I guess these ones are the most straightforward to include, and the most likely to be of universal benefit),

yes - that is what i was talking about ---- just more eloquent and correct!
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
some of them are language-irrelevant (no text or user interface, just under-the-bonnet functionality - and I guess these ones are the most straightforward to include, and the most likely to be of universal benefit),

yes - that is what i was talking about ---- just more eloquent and correct!

Edit: It seems that I clicked on Quote instead of Edit; this is actually K-9's post again.

Last edited by Samwise on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2