NeoOffice 2.2.5 messes up ODT QuickLook

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Whatever you did in that patch, you need to revert it. After installing Patch 2 Test 1, I get the same results as SapceAceman: when selecting an .odt (or .ods, etc.) file in the Finder, and pressing space, all I get is the icon for the document type. So it basically makes your QuickLook plugin useless.

Thanks to both of you for testing this. We will definitely roll that back. In the meantime, reinstall NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 2 from the NeoOffice patch download page to rollback to the old behavior.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject:

SpadeAceman, can you run the following command in Terminal and paste its output in a post?

Code:
ls -l /Library/QuickLook/ ~/Library/QuickLook/
ls -l /Applications/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/

Edit by pluby: Broke command into two lines to fix command splitting.
SpadeAceman
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Patrick – Thanks, using the Patch 2 installer reverted things to the way they were working before (pdf previews for Neo-created ODTs, binary-as-text for other ODTs).

Anything else I can do to try and fix this, since apparently it's only my machine having this issue? My guess, based on everything I've learned from this process, is that my system is mistakenly using the "public.plain-text" UTI type for my ODT files, resulting in showing the binary contents of the file as text. That would explain why it works when I specify the UTI for OpenDocument Text on the command line, yet doesn't work from the Finder. Is there a way I can look to see the UTI types associated with my ODT files?

Samwise – Here's the results. I excluded the OpenOffice.org part of the command line, since OOo isn't anywhere on my machine at present (I've not tried reinstalling it since this problem started).

Code:
ls -l /Library/QuickLook/ ~/Library/QuickLook/
ls: /Users/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/Library/QuickLook/: No such file or directory
/Library/QuickLook/:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 xxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxx  102 Dec 13  2007 BetterZipQL.qlgenerator
drwxrwxr-x  3 root           admin          102 Sep 23  2007 GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator
drwxrwxr-x  3 root           admin          102 Sep 24  2007 iWork.qlgenerator

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject:

OK. Since the link you gave me to Eric Bachard's blog mentioned installing their plugin outside OOo, I was wondering whether actually did that, but found nothing in my installation (still haven't figured out whether a QuickLook plugin was installed anywhere by OOo - but I can't find any).
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject:

One other thing to check: make sure that Bean isn't declaring a bogus UTI for .odt files. If Bean is declaring "public.text" or something else for .odt files in its Info.plist, that could be the source of the corruption.

Also, have you tried throwing Bean in the trash, emptying it, and restarting, and seeing if Bean-created files preview correctly then?

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, very bizarre. In theory the problem I see is that the prior uses the system defined UTI types "org.oasis-open.*" which is matching the Text.qlgenerator whereas after installing the patch the system is now defining two UTI types and handlers...that after list has both org.oasis.opendocument* and org.oasis-open.opendocument.*.

The theory with the test patch was that by removing the org.oasis.* UTIs (which should only be used on 10.4...) was that we'd get the right mapping back. Passing an unrecognized UTI to Text.qlgenerator would cause it to error when generating the thumbnail.

I wonder if somehow we need to force rebuilding of whatever is providing UTI types after installing the patch. Is this in the LaunchServices database perhaps? I think that basically we have to remove the UTI types that we defined for Tiger which somehow are now incompatible with Leopard.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject:

Also, after applying the test patch if you see that as an issue, try performing the following commands in a terminal:

Code:

qlmanage -r

That restarts the QuickLook server. I think we should already have that in our patch postflight scripts.

There may also need to be a second command added to our postflight scripts to purge the bogus UTI types:

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -f -r -domain system -domain local -domain user

Is there any change after the above? If I'm right that LaunchServices is the one searching out the UTIs, the hope is that the above command will purge the UTIs from the system.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject:

For clarification, that lsregister command is all one line in a Terminal.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject:

Samwise and SpadeAceman,

Can you try reinstalling the test patch and then execute the following command in a Terminal?:

/usr/bin/qlmanage -r

After doing this, is the Quick Look rendering still messed up? I am curious if we need to add the qlmanage -r command for your current user in the patch installer script.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:

OK I found the error in the test patch...I copied in an incorrect file into the area we stage the plugins. That would cause it to fail to load regardless of the UTI types. I corrected that Info.plist file, so now in the next test patch we should be loading again Smile

On my laptop where I saw the UTI issues I had to do the lsregister followed by qlmanage -r both under the root account and the current user account. If done only as root, the UTI database was fixed for root, but not for the currently logged in user account. qlmanage -p would work fine as root, but not as the current user until I redid both the lsregister and qlmanage again.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I have uploaded the following test patch with Ed's latest changes. Can you install the following test patch and tell us if there is any change in the QuickLook rendering or the qlmanage command output?:

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-2-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-2-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject:

With Patch 2 Test 2, I can see the QuickLook preview of all ODF documents again (instead of the NeoOffice icons).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I found a small script error in one of the patch installer scripts and I have uploaded the following test patch with Ed's latest changes. Can you install the following test patch just to make sure that I have not broken Ed's fix?:

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-2-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-2-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject:

So, I was running 10.5.5 with Neo 2.2.5 and Patch-1 and everything was working fine for me.

Then I stupidly installed Patch-2-Test-3, and now any files that don't have the Neo preview in them (including .odt files saved by Neo 2 dating back to 2006, which worked prior to my installing Test-3) don't Quick Look any more.

I've tried rolling back to Patch-2, and even re-installing 2.2.5 and Patch-1, restarting, etc., and I'm still unable to preview non-Neo-preview odt files. Sad

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Have you tried running qlmanage -r in Terminal after reinstalling Patch 2?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3