Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Help?!
Help?!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Help?!

Sorry to ask here, it's just that you seem a savvy lot and I'm at my (and google's) wit's end.

Suddenly, any app I launch that is seriously java-based (e.g. Vuze) or uses flash (e.g. flash movies in FireFox, or more importantly, my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary) hang the system with:
Code:
16/10/2008 09:02:26 com.apple.ATSServer[218] ATSServer got a fatal error (status: -4) while processing a message (id: 22) from pid=190.
16/10/2008 09:02:26 com.apple.launchd[104] (com.apple.ATSServer) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

I've checked all duplicate fonts and dodgy fonts - in fact, I let FontExplorer put all non-OSX fonts off to one side for a while (removed, not disabled, then cache clean and restart) and this problem persists. I don't know whether it's as a result of the latest java update, or the fact that I installed the latest update to Office 2008. I've completely uninstalled Office 2008 (as far as I can tell - the uninstaller doesn't remove the fonts it installed, so I did that manually).

Any ideas where to go from here? the fact that flash stuff sets it off is what makes me think it's not just a font issue, but I've really no idea. It may come to a reinstall of the OS, which I might do to go with installing my new hard drive, but it'd be great to resolve this without having to resort to that.

- padmavyuha

(...and of course I need flashblock in firefox just to get past the home page of my internet banking site Evil or Very Mad)
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject:

While looking at your topic here, I found another, similar topic:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1317325

I'm not sure it's much help, but it seems that fonts embedded in a PDF document, as well as fonts present on other volumes, could also be causing error messages similar to yours. Now if it only occurs when launching Java applications… Question
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject:

Also, don't forget that when Neo is running it does inject the OpenSymbol font into ATS...it's caused some issues in the way back past, but I haven't seen any recently. Also, if you're doing anything with Neo 3.0 EAP Beta watch out as some of the very early binaries grabbed some fonts implicitly from ooo-build that would also crash ATS.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I put this in Random because it's a problem I'm having that's completely unconnected with NeoOffice, as far as I can tell. It's driving me nuts - if it's all down to some PDF file, how on earth do I track down that one particular file? There are several references around the net to people having this problem and it being caused by fonts, but so far no-one else seems to have this problem of it crashing flash apps or flash web pages. I think I'm just going to do a full reinstall (when my new drive arrives) and keep making backup clones while I add the latest updates, to see if one of them kicks this off. In any case, I won't be adding the latest java update or Office 08 update until last Confused But I've got an essay to write, and I need that flash-based dictionary - so I'm going to have to install it in XP on Parallels and hope that flash-within-vitualised-OS is safe from this nonsense.

- Padmavyuha
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject:

FWIW I've also tried this with Spotlight turned right off, it makes no difference.

*edit* For some reason it never occurred to me that the flash player might be the culprit - but apart from the web pages and the dictionary, it just occurred to me that the java app that crashed on launch was displaying flash content on its front page. So now I'm trying the 'uninstall flash player and load an earlier version' route...
..... result! Got my dictionary back!
.....bugger, still not right. Getting a slew of error messages in console, and flash content in browsers (I installed flash 9 now) is still sometimes dropping the bomb. Anyway, no-one but me is interested in how this works out, so I'll stop updating this now... Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1