Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - trouble installing neo office
trouble installing neo office

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvtmadore
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: trouble installing neo office

I am trying desperately to get an office suite working on my Mac iBook Dual-USB running 10.3 (with all updates). For some reason I can't make NeoOffice install, and this reason has to do with something called bsd... I need help in getting this bsd thing installed or whatever, but I have no idea where to turn. The only information I have found says that I need to have an install disk, something the person who sold me this laptop did not include and when contacted does not have. I would really just love to get something like the OpenOffice I used to use in the windows world working on this mac. I know I should buy a new mac but I cannot afford it until i come back from Iraq, at which time I intend to buy the latest Macbook. Thank you for any help you can provide.
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject:

sorry - not much help to you - Patrick will be around soon to comment. The only bsd i am familiar with the FreeBSD which is what OS X is based on. Berklee Software Distribution.

Following form Free BSD wiki:

FreeBSD is a Unix-like free operating system descended from AT&T UNIX via the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) branch through the 386BSD and 4.4BSD operating systems. It runs on Intel x86 family (IA-32) IBM PC compatible computers, DEC Alpha, Sun UltraSPARC, IA-64, AMD64, PowerPC, ARM and NEC PC-9801 architectures along with Microsoft's Xbox.[1] Support for other architectures is in varying stages of development.
FreeBSD has been characterized as "the unknown giant among free operating systems."[2] It is not a clone of UNIX, but works like UNIX, with UNIX-compliant internals and system APIs.[3] FreeBSD is generally regarded as reliable and robust. Among all operating systems which can accurately report uptime remotely,[4] FreeBSD is the free operating system listed most often in Netcraft's list[5] of the 50 web servers with the longest uptime. A long uptime also indicates no crashes have occurred and no kernel updates have been deemed needed, since installing a new kernel requires a reboot, resetting the uptime counter of the system.
FreeBSD is developed as a complete operating system. The kernel, device drivers and all of the userland utilities, such as the shell, are held in the same source code revision tracking tree, whereas with Linux distributions, the kernel, userland utilities and applications are developed separately, then packaged together in various ways by others.

it could be an underlying code or package that is part of OS X.

be safe!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: trouble installing neo office

pvtmadore wrote:
I am trying desperately to get an office suite working on my Mac iBook Dual-USB running 10.3 (with all updates). For some reason I can't make NeoOffice install, and this reason has to do with something called bsd... I need help in getting this bsd thing installed or whatever, but I have no idea where to turn. The only information I have found says that I need to have an install disk, something the person who sold me this laptop did not include and when contacted does not have. I would really just love to get something like the OpenOffice I used to use in the windows world working on this mac. I know I should buy a new mac but I cannot afford it until i come back from Iraq, at which time I intend to buy the latest Macbook. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Most likely, your machine has a corrupt or missing system file. The NeoOffice intaller uses a few system commands that, for some reason, are not on your machine. These system commands are in a part of Mac OS X that Apple calls the "BSD package".

So, I have two quetions for you:

1. Can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application and then rerun the NeoOffice installer? Several messages will be added to the Console window. Can you paste those messages in this forum topic?

2. Do you have your Mac OS X installation CD available? Depending on what we find from the output for my first question, the installation CD might be needed to correct this problem.
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject:

Patrick, He does not have the install CD. Never came with the used laptop from the seller. Seller does not have it.

I would suggest buying a 10.4 install that you can find rather cheap and install 10.4. Will work better than 10.3
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1