Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Maybe a problem with patch 3
Maybe a problem with patch 3

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ubub
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Maybe a problem with patch 3

I just stumbled in 2 small problems. I had installed yesterday patch 3, it may be connected or not.
1. (writer) I had recently used Character format to define super- and subscripts (more precisely, in chemical formulae). When reopening the file, i could not see these, since the settings were changed ( e.g. : position was changed to 100%). I am not used to use subscripts, so I cannot cross check on other files.
2. (writer again) in the same file, I had defined some tabs. To add lines with the same tab set, I sometimes used to add the text, then select and redefine the tabs. Now this seems not possible : the tab markers disappear (as before), but clicking does not restore/replace the tab - it just does nothing.

Not a big thing, but worth to report, I believe.

Thanks for this great software.
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject:

Please download the latest patch 4 - http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php not knowing the exact isses but Patrick probably fixed it patch 4. If probelm still exists, file a bug report and also post back here. Welcome to Neo and Trinity.

Edit by pluby: corrected URL to language agnostic URL and corrected patch number.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe a problem with patch 3

Ubub wrote:
1. (writer) I had recently used Character format to define super- and subscripts (more precisely, in chemical formulae). When reopening the file, i could not see these, since the settings were changed ( e.g. : position was changed to 100%). I am not used to use subscripts, so I cannot cross check on other files.

I don't understand what you mean by "position was changed to 100%". If you are talking about the Edit :: Zoom percentage, then my next question is did you recently ugrade NeoOffice from version 2.1 or earlier? If so, what version of NeoOffice did you have before the upgrade?

When making such upgrades, you may find that not all of your custom user preferences can be imported into the newer version of NeoOffice and so some preferences remain set to the default value.

Ubub wrote:
2. (writer again) in the same file, I had defined some tabs. To add lines with the same tab set, I sometimes used to add the text, then select and redefine the tabs. Now this seems not possible : the tab markers disappear (as before), but clicking does not restore/replace the tab - it just does nothing.

I don't think I understand this issue either. When I select on text, the tab markers in the ruler at the top of the document do not disappear and clicking in the ruler works fine. Let us know if you are using different steps than me.

Also, since this only happens in one file, what kind of file is it? An .odt file, a .doc file, or a .docx file?

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:

Sorry Patrick. I clicked on the get the latest patch from the forums to the left and copied the url that it to me too. I saw a 2.2.5 I guess it was. so that is why I posted it. Sorry for the faux pas! Not intended. I went where the link took me and I copied what was in the browser url info.

edit: ahhh - sorry - I saw the 2.2.5 and thought patch 5 - did not look below and see the actual patch. The link is what I had in the actual browser url window though.

too early and not enough coffee this A.M. Embarassed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject:

Since I cannot reproduce these two problems, one thing you might want to try is to move your existing user preference files using the following steps. This will force NeoOffice to create a new set of user preference files with default values:

1. Quit NeoOffice
2. Move the following folders if they exist to your Desktop or the Trash:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.1

3. Restart NeoOffice

Does that change any behavior?

Patrick
Ubub
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject:

Hm, sorry, I was inaccurate.
1. The patch I had installed was 4, not 3.
2. Issue 1 was referred to the subscript/superscript position. What happened, is that the definition of the sub(super)scipt % reduction and the position of the baseline were changed. However, I opened today (GMT) some file with the same sub/sup feature, and worked fine. So, please disregard this, I will report again if and when.
3. On the other hand, the tab point still is puzzling. To describe it better :
- assume I have different tab settings in the different paragraphs of a document. As I remember, if all of the document was selected, I could obviously not see the different setting, just the default blank ruler; but by clicking on the ruler, the active tab type would be inserted, and would be valid in all paragraphs.
Well, if now I click, nothing happens, the tab is not "accepted".
Hope this is less foggy...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Ubub wrote:
- assume I have different tab settings in the different paragraphs of a document. As I remember, if all of the document was selected, I could obviously not see the different setting, just the default blank ruler; but by clicking on the ruler, the active tab type would be inserted, and would be valid in all paragraphs.

Does this same behavior occur if you select only a few paragraphs? If so, can you find any specific section that this behavior occurs in? My guess is that your document has some objects in it for which tab settings cannot be set and by selecting the entire document, those objects cause tab setting to be disabled.

Patrick
Ubub
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Ubub wrote:

Does this same behavior occur if you select only a few paragraphs? If so, can you find any specific section that this behavior occurs in? My guess is that your document has some objects in it for which tab settings cannot be set and by selecting the entire document, those objects cause tab setting to be disabled.

Patrick

Not in the selected section, at least not ''objects'' in the sense of images or other. There is a formatting (the document I am working on right now is an operating manual, so paragraphs are numbered). The extension of the selection seems ininfluential; I will try and see systematically whether this happens in some specific point, but it does not seem so.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Is the issue related to different margin settings?

I have just been looking at this out of interest.

I can use Ubub's method of dealing with tab settings where the margins for the paragraphs are the same, but if my selection of paragraphs includes more than one set of margin settings then it doesn't. If I select paragraphs with two different margin settings then, on the ruler, the inverted 'T' symbols for the default tab stops disappear because these are set in relation to the margins and can't be resolved.

If I select Format::Paragraph the dialog doesn't display an option for setting tabs because again these are set in relation to margins and the margins are incompatible between the two paragraphs.

For the same reason I can't use the ruler-click method of applying the active tab setting. I haven't checked, but I imagine this will apply however small the difference in margins is.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1