Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can't find oroborOSX
Can't find oroborOSX

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstiehr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Can't find oroborOSX

just successfully installed openoffice.org1.1.2 but when I went to start it I got a can't find oroborOSX error. I don't see that it's been installed as part of the OO install. Any suggestions on where to look for this program on my system or where tto download it for use by OO?

Thanks
jrstiehr@bioreagents.com
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject:

It sounds as though whatever launcher you're using needs its prefs editing. Do you actually want to run Ooo under OroborOSX, which you can find at http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7905? It's just an alternative (and perhaps snazzier) implementation of the X11 windowing environment for OSX, but the one that Apple supplies, http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/download/, is way easier to install if you just want to get up and running with Ooo as soon as possible (there's a load of extra stuff you need to install for OroborOSX if you haven't already installed Apple's X11).

In any case, whatever you're using to launch Ooo clearly thinks it's supposed to be running Ooo within OroborOSX, so you either need to install OroborOSX, or install Apple's X11 and then tweak the launcher so it knows where to look for the X11.

So, when you went to start Ooo 1.1.2, how did you go about that? How did you try to launch it? Did you use 'Start OpenOffice.org', or 'Coool', or what did you use?

- yoxi

Last edited by yoxi on Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject:

OrobosX should be installed in your Applications folder. as should XDarwin.

If you have Apple's X11, open 'Start OpenOffice.org' and go to the preferences and change your X11 client to that one, it should open.

places to download OrobosX and XDarwin can be found here:

http://sixthcrusade.com/neowiki/index.php?page=X11DownloadLinks

*edited to correct my bad spelling
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
the one that Apple supplies, http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/download/, is way easier to install if you just want to get up and running with Ooo as soon as possible

Note that if you're running 10.2.x, the Apple X11 download yoxi mentions above won't work...Apple's X11 "final" only works with 10.3 (and installs in /Applications/Utilities). If you have 10.2.x and still have Apple's X11 "beta" (no longer available from Apple for download) installed in your /Applications folder, you can use it, but otherwise OOo on 10.2.x requires XDarwin or OroborOSX....

Smokey
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Damn... I'm always forgetting that some people drive jags - thanks smokey...

Though I should mention for the sake of completeness that I tried running Ooo 1.1.2 under OroborOSX 0.9 yesterday, and there's a weird problem where all the window text is transparent, so depending on what's on your desktop, you can't read what you're writing, or the menu items etc. (They're aware of this bug, as others have alerted them too - does anyone know whether this also happens in 10.2.x?)
So for the moment, OroborOSX is not a really viable alternative, pretty though it is! I'm finding NeoOffice/J 1.1 the fastest option on my slow tibook, and a blessing to have access to all my OSX fonts...

- yoxi
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: OroborOSX

yoxi wrote:
Though I should mention for the sake of completeness that I tried running Ooo 1.1.2 under OroborOSX 0.9 yesterday, and there's a weird problem where all the window text is transparent, so depending on what's on your desktop, you can't read what you're writing, or the menu items etc. (They're aware of this bug, as others have alerted them too - does anyone know whether this also happens in 10.2.x?)
So for the moment, OroborOSX is not a really viable alternative, pretty though it is! I'm finding NeoOffice/J 1.1 the fastest option on my slow tibook, and a blessing to have access to all my OSX fonts...

FYI, I might have documented this or a similar problem in the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation (or I am thinking of a different X11 project I ported to Mac OS X) - I think I had a workaround for the problem, but I don't know off the top of my head.

Regards, Terry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject:

Ok, So I ran into this exact same problem, so I did what naturally came to me as a Windows user -- I told it something else.

I told it that XDarwin was OroborOSX.

And it worked.

Shows that even Macs can be tricked Wink

-John
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: OroborOSX

Anonymous wrote:
Ok, So I ran into this exact same problem, so I did what naturally came to me as a Windows user -- I told it something else.

Just so there is no confusion, somehow this thread describes two separate and unrelated problems - in my comments above I was referring to the OroborOSX transparency issue; I think you might be referring to the problem of OroborOSX not being found.

Anonymous wrote:
I told it that XDarwin was OroborOSX.

And it worked.

Shows that even Macs can be tricked Wink

-John

While that trick might help in an emergency, I would not recommend this as a long-term solution. "Start OpenOffice.org" has specific special case code for OroborOSX (and others) based on several factors.

I suggest you use the "Start OpenOffice.org" Preferences menu item to correctly indicate that you are using XDarwin.

Regards, Terry
[ author of "Start OpenOffice.org" ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: where is oroborosx then start openoffice.org

I have the same issue 'where is orborosx' ... so tried using XDarwin and cant get 'start OpenOffice.org' to run, as recommended by Terry

I went to its directory:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/Start OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/MacOS

and tried Start OpenOffice.org and got:
Command not found.

... been using computers since 1982 [started on a PDP11/23] and I have to say it seems like we have taken three [at least] giant steps backwards ...

- another 'john'
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: where is oroborosx then start openoffice.org

guest wrote:
I went to its directory:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/Start OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/MacOS

and tried Start OpenOffice.org and got:
Command not found.

You've managed to go *inside* of the Start OpenOffice.org app; try double-clicking on /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/Start OpenOffice.org itself.

Smokey
john [another]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Re: where is oroborosx then start

Smokey says:

You've managed to go *inside* of the Start OpenOffice.org app; try double-clicking on /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/Start OpenOffice.org itself.

-- I did that first, just re-tryed it --- same results

also in a XDarwin shell went to where the command is [the path
mentioned above] and invoked it with ./St* and got the same results
[where is oroborosx]

- john [another]

Also trying to get it to work on an O2 ... same type of results
interesting, even from the tardist from sig was a corrrupt file
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Re: where is oroborosx then start

The next thing I'd try is moving aside your ~/Library/Preferences/org.OpenOffice.Start.plist and starting Start OpenOffice.org again; make sure XDarwin is in the default location (I think /Applications) first.

And if you haven't read the extensive Readme for Start OpenOffice.org (in /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/Documentation), you really should do that, too Smile

Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1