Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - I forgot to save my document...where does it autosave to!?
I forgot to save my document...where does it autosave to!?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lfekravar
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: I forgot to save my document...where does it autosave to!?

I had a document open and i exed out of it and then when it said 'do you want to save' i pressed no. i have neooffice set up to autosave every 15 minutes, can i still recover my document? HELP ME PLEASE, this was the most important document of my life.

and i have a macbook if that helps..
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I forgot to save my document...where does it autosave to

lfekravar wrote:
I had a document open and i exed out of it and then when it said 'do you want to save' i pressed no. i have neooffice set up to autosave every 15 minutes, can i still recover my document? HELP ME PLEASE, this was the most important document of my life.

and i have a macbook if that helps..

Check in your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user/backup folder (note that "~" means your Home folder).

If there are any files in there, copy them to a folder outside of that folder and try opening the copies.

Does that work?

Patrick
lfekravar
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I forgot to save my document...where does it autosave to

i went to home, library, and then preferences, but neooffice isnt there at all. theres a folder called brother, a bunch of com.apple things, a folder called directory service, and a folder call system configeration .. ?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I forgot to save my document...where does it autosave to

lfekravar wrote:
i went to home, library, and then preferences, but neooffice isnt there at all. theres a folder called brother, a bunch of com.apple things, a folder called directory service, and a folder call system configeration .. ?

It must be there if you ran NeoOffice. NeoOffice does not run without that folder so maybe the folders aren't in alphabetical order?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I forgot to save my document...where does it autosave to

pluby wrote:
lfekravar wrote:

It must be there if you ran NeoOffice. NeoOffice does not run without that folder so maybe the folders aren't in alphabetical order?

Patrick

Instead of searching for the folder, try the following steps. They will copy the "backup" folder that I mentioned in my previous post to your Desktop:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilitiies/Terminal application.

2. Paste the following command into the Terminal window

Code:
cp -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user/backup ~/Desktop

3. Press the Return key.

You should see a new folder named "backup" appear on your Desktop. Hopefullly, that will contain the autosave backup copies of your files.
lfekravar
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject:

no i just tried again, its not listed under preferences..
lfekravar
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject:

ok let me try that
lfekravar
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject:

ok i tried that, there were about 10-15 documents, but they were all blank.

anywhere else it could be?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject:

lfekravar wrote:
ok i tried that, there were about 10-15 documents, but they were all blank.

anywhere else it could be?

Unfortunately, those are the documents created by the autosave process. Some may be blank as I believe that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code saves the incremental changes in each of these files. So each file may only have the changes (or nothing if there were no changes) made since the last autosave.

This will not help you now, but it may help in the future. There is an option for making a full backup copy of your document during each autosave. However, that is disabled by default. That option can be enabled by selecting the Tools :: Options menu and in the dialog that appears, select the Load/Save :: General item, check the "Always create backup copy" checkbox, and press the OK button.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
This will not help you now, but it may help in the future. There is an option for making a full backup copy of your document during each autosave. However, that is disabled by default. That option can be enabled by selecting the Tools :: Options menu and in the dialog that appears, select the Load/Save :: General item, check the "Always create backup copy" checkbox, and press the OK button.

Ignore the above. The "Always create backup copy" is not related to the autosave process. Instead, the "Always create backup copy" option will make a .bak file in your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user/backup everytime you explicitly save a file.

This feature is still a nice feature but if you press the Discard button when saving, it won't make a backup of your document.

Patrick
lfekravar
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject:

ok thanks for your help anyway. (:
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1