Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - What is "OpenOffice.org's Universal Access code"
What is "OpenOffice.org's Universal Access code"

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oihenart
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: What is "OpenOffice.org's Universal Access code"

Hello,

I read in the forum about NeO 3 Early Access that the only OpenOffice.org feature that is missing from NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access is Mac OS X Universal Access support.

What it is exactly ?

Thanks for this release !

Christian
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject:

I am moving this to the NeoOffice Early Support forum in case other Early Access users have the same question.

Mac OS X's Universal Access allows disabled users to access applications.

Here is a link which describes a bit more about what Mac OS X Universal Access is and how to use it. The 4th bullet item "Make the computer read aloud the text ..." is not present in NeoOffice 3.0. This has never been supported in NeoOffice.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let us know if you need some more information.

--fran
oihenart
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject:

Ok, thanks for this quick answer !

Christian
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject:

I don't quite get this. The things Fran mentions works just fine.

if I select some text and select 'start speaking text' from the NeoOffice::Services::Speech menu, it speaks...

Best wishes,
Oscar

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I don't quite get this. The things Fran mentions works just fine.

if I select some text and select 'start speaking text' from the NeoOffice::Services::Speech menu, it speaks...

Best wishes,
Oscar

It becomes more obvious when you follow Fran's link:

Make the computer read aloud the text on the screen when you move the pointer over an item in the Finder, Dock, or application toolbar.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:

Make the computer read aloud the text on the screen when you move the pointer over an item in the Finder, Dock, or application toolbar.

In NeoOffice 3.0, and all other Java applications, only window titles and menus are spoken when Mac OS X Universal Access VoiceOver is on. In contrast, OpenOffice.org 3.0 items such as highlighted text, any keys entered, etc. are also spoken.

--fran
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject:

The original intention of VoiceOver is to provide assistance through speech by reading the tooltip of the button under the mouse, the selected text under the mouse, etc. automatically as the mouse moves around the screen. The goal is to provide an audio-only interface to applications so they may be used by the blind or visually impaired.

During development of Neo 3.0 we came to the following conclusions regarding Sun's implementation of this technology:

1. It is not thread safe. This causes it to cause application crashes that can be difficult to debug and reproduce. We do not consider it to be safe code to include in a shipping product, so we have removed it.
  2. It provides too much information. After playing with it for a while, in our opinion there is too much static to determine what is going on.
  3. It seems more like a feature to comply with a Section 508 checkmark for government software sales.

For a long time, we have supported the functionality of ShapeShifter which allows for the construction of high-contrast themes for the visually impaired (or anyone that wants less eye strain Smile ). Our solution should also support any other similar assistive product that patches Mac OS X at a lwo level. We feel this is a better solution for the visually impaired than the audio-only solution. We think we still can meet Section 508 standards, and prefer to continue supporting the assistive solution requested by our own users using ShapeShifter and similar standardized frameworks. For certain individuals, this may be a much more productive approach in place of relying on a confusing audio-only solution. Our users already have already compelling high-contrast solutions in place and have had them for years; we need to ensure they continue to function and are available for all of our users.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum