Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Remove dictionaries?
Remove dictionaries?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbflanman
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Remove dictionaries?

Hello,

I have just installed the NeoOffice 3 Early Release. My Irish and German dictionaries were not transferred from the 2.2.5 install. I have successfully used Extension Manager to add them; but am unable to remove the French and Spanish dictionaries. Both have a small lock in their listing. How do I unlock these dictionaries for removal?

Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Remove dictionaries?

jbflanman wrote:
Hello,

I have just installed the NeoOffice 3 Early Release. My Irish and German dictionaries were not transferred from the 2.2.5 install. I have successfully used Extension Manager to add them; but am unable to remove the French and Spanish dictionaries. Both have a small lock in their listing. How do I unlock these dictionaries for removal?

You cannot remove them as they are part of the NeoOffice installation.

I am not sure what you are trying to do. Since NeoOffice uses the Mac OS X spellchecker service before any custom or bundled dictionaries and Mac OS X's spellchecker service has French and Spanish dictionaries, any document that you mark as French or Spanish is going to use the Mac OS X spellchecker. Also, if you mark your document as English, NeoOffice won't use anything but the Mac OS X English dictionary.

Is there something that is not working that you are trying to fix?

Patrick
jbflanman
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: removing dictionaries

I have delocalized my Mac to free up space on the boot drive so the Mac OSX dictionaries for French and Spanish have been removed. I simply want to remove unnecessary (to me) dictionaries.

Why are the French and Spanish dictionaries part of the default NeoOffice English install? I would think the only default dictionary included would be for the install language.

Thanks for the reply.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: removing dictionaries

jbflanman wrote:
Why are the French and Spanish dictionaries part of the default NeoOffice English install? I would think the only default dictionary included would be for the install language.

They are only included because NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org build bundles them into the binaries. The problem is that there is no one file that you delete to get rid of these as they are OpenOffice.org extensions and would need to be backed out of the installation's extension registry.

IMHO, the OpenOffice.org extension registry really is way more complex that it needs to be. Sad

Patrick
PGAGA
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: removing dictionaries

Monday, January 26, 2009

Quote:
Quote:

They are only included because NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org build bundles them into the binaries. The problem is that there is no one file that you delete to get rid of these as they are OpenOffice.org extensions and would need to be backed out of the installation's extension registry.

This thread is similar to mine. The problem as I see it is not the inclusion of the default OOo dictionaries, but the failure to truly implement them as extensions in EA2. In all other OOo derivative builds (I use OOo3 in various forms on WinXP, Win7beta, OS/2 and Ubuntu Linux in addition to OS X) the three language extensions are installed as extensions making their removal and/or update possible. For example, my OOo3.0.1 installation on Win7beta, installed the French dictionary extension and immediately gave notice of the needed update.

When I update to EA2 it accepted the French and English dicitionary extensions which I had installed for EA1. But they existed along side the two non-extension languages and when I tried to clean things up, it created other problems. A fresh profile allowed me to clean things up.

But, I was left with a problem. The French dictionary is an old version, which cannot be updated because the old one installed with EA2 is not an extension. (The extra English one I could remove since the EA2 installed version was the newer.)

As an aside, there was a brief period when OOo3 did not have dictionaries in the default installation. That caused problems for those wanting British English because that language was not available as an extension. I think the return of the languages was due to complaint about their removal.

Keep up the good/great work!

Phil
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum