Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Trouble adding header and footer info
Trouble adding header and footer info

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimArends
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Trouble adding header and footer info

In going through Help, I've been able to figure out enough about adding information to my headers and footers to mess up my document. First I added the chapter name to the headers but then decided the document title should go there and I don’t know how to remove it. Then I got the chapter name and page number to go into the footer, but they are both crowded together and I would like the chapter name to be on the left and the page number to be on the right. Finally the last couple of chapters in my document for some reason don't have the chapter name in the footer. Help?
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I strongly recommend you download the User Guide (see link to left) and read the relevant information there to get an overview for how Headers and Footers work. You are more likely to be able to make sense of it all in relation to your particular needs than someone here is without a great deal of to-ing and fro-ing about what you want and what you have done so far.

It may help you narrow down to some more specific issues where you still need further help and to post a more focussed question here.
TimArends
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. I think I've figured out the header issue...I simply deleted it and will add it back later. On the page numbers in the footers, instead of trying to have them right justified and the chapter name left justified, I instead decided that
Chapter Name | Page Number
looks pretty good. The only issue I am stuck on is the fact that the chapter title is showing up in the footer of some chapters but not others. All the chapter headings were defined the same way in the document. Is this a bug? This is no biggie, as I could just give up on the chapter names being in the footers, but I would like to have them there as a convenience to my readers.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject:

TimArends wrote:
looks pretty good. The only issue I am stuck on is the fact that the chapter title is showing up in the footer of some chapters but not others. All the chapter headings were defined the same way in the document. Is this a bug? This is no biggie, as I could just give up on the chapter names being in the footers, but I would like to have them there as a convenience to my readers.

Are you sure that you don't a different footer attached to those pages? In NeoOffice, you can attach a different header and footer definitions to a range of pages between manual page breaks.

To remove any different footer definitions, go to a page where the chapter is showing in the footer, select the Insert :: Footer menu, and uncheck the checked footer definition. If you see more than one definition, select the Insert :: Footer menu again and check one of the other definitions.

Does the above steps work for you?

Patrick
TimArends
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
To remove any different footer definitions, go to a page where the chapter is showing in the footer, select the Insert :: Footer menu, and uncheck the checked footer definition. If you see more than one definition, select the Insert :: Footer menu again and check one of the other definitions.

When I uncheck the selected definition, I get the message "Removing the headers or footers deletes the contents. Do you want to delete this text?" When I click yes, the footers disappear, but selecting another definition does not do anything. If I select another definition before unchecking the first, both definitions have checkmarks and nothing happens.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject:

TimArends wrote:
pluby wrote:

When I uncheck the selected definition, I get the message "Removing the headers or footers deletes the contents. Do you want to delete this text?" When I click yes, the footers disappear, but selecting another definition does not do anything. If I select another definition before unchecking the first, both definitions have checkmarks and nothing happens.

This means that you have two different footer definitions and one of them is an empty footer. My original steps were to ensure that you are using a single footer definition throughout your document since it appears that you were using more than one.

Once you have switch to a single footer definition throughout your document, you can edit that single footer on one of the pages that uses that header and the footer content will repeat on all pages.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1