Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - I can offer space to mirror in France
I can offer space to mirror in France

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Mirrors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackintosh7513
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: I can offer space to mirror in France

Hi,

I'd like to mirror NeoOffice on a server in Switzerland. I have unlimited bandwith and some space.

Please contact me to see how we can technically set the mirror up.

Take care.

Jacques
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for you offer to mirror NeoOffice. I just sent you a Private Message with more details about setting up a NeoOffice mirror.

Patrick
somnulatorium
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: offer to mirror

somnulatorium.org currently has spare bandwidth to donate. The server is in Michigan.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: offer to mirror

somnulatorium wrote:
somnulatorium.org currently has spare bandwidth to donate. The server is in Michigan.

Thank you very much for offering to mirror NeoOffice.

The key question is does your server have any bandwidth limitations? I ask this because each NeoOffice mirror usually has been 1 - 2 terabytes of bandwidth usage per month. Also, disk usage varies between 4 and 8 GB of disk.

If your server can handle that amount of bandwidth, send me a Private Message with your e-mail address and I will send you the details for setting up a server.

Patrick
somnulatorium
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: offer to mirror

Quote:
The key question is does your server have any bandwidth limitations? I ask this because each NeoOffice mirror usually has been 1 - 2 terabytes of bandwidth usage per month. Also, disk usage varies between 4 and 8 GB of disk.

There is a 60Gb limit. It seems a shame there is no way for limited servers to contribute what they can. You know, instead of a few huge servers, there'd be a large pool of limited servers. Maybe each of those servers would be available one day each month and serve a single file. neooffice.org would maintain a database and change links accordingly.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: offer to mirror

somnulatorium wrote:
There is a 60Gb limit. It seems a shame there is no way for limited servers to contribute what they can. You know, instead of a few huge servers, there'd be a large pool of limited servers. Maybe each of those servers would be available one day each month and serve a single file. neooffice.org would maintain a database and change links accordingly.

While your idea makes sense, what we have found is that the size of the NeoOffice downloads are not very compatible with the limited downloads that the cheaper, shared webhosting plans provide. We know this because we relied almost exclusively on a combination of shared webhosting plans in the first few years of the NeoOffice project.

What we found is that most shared webhosting servers are tuned to server lots of small files and, as a result, lots of interrupted downloads occur when for big files like NeoOffice. That, in turn, just burns through your bandwidth and makes users frustrated when they cannot get a full download of a file.

What we also found is that lots of ad-based software download sites (for example, Softpedia) like to make deep links to one or more mirrors so that if you find an application on their site, downloading from their links won't cause the user's browser to leave their site. We cannot control this "deep linking" approach so what ends up happening is that if they deep link to your mirror, they will overwhelm your site. We have lost a couple of smaller mirrors because of this. Sad

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Mirrors All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1