Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Are -Character-Effects-Small Capitals real SC in Mac OS X?
Are -Character-Effects-Small Capitals real SC in Mac OS X?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoJob
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Are -Character-Effects-Small Capitals real SC in Mac OS X?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a problem, but couldn't find an answer yet.

In Mac OS X (10.5.6) I'm used to use Small Capitals in texts through Menu: Edit–Special Characters: Typography-Letter Case (e.g. in TextEdit).

When I copy-past my text into NeoOffice 2.2.5 I lose all my Smal Capitals. I've tried to retrieve them (Format–Character–Effects), but those Small Capitals are not the ones which came with the OpenType Font, is it? Especially the numbers don't show as Small Capitals (or Old Style Figures).

Is there a work-around for this problem? I couldn't find it on the Forum or Wiki. Thanks
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject:

Apparently neither OpenOffice nor Word do 'real' Small Capitals As NeoOffice uses the OpenOffice code base I guess it does not either. It has been requested by some users, but I don't know whether it is likely to be forthcoming soon. If it is introduced in OpenOffice it will probably appear in NeoOffice in due course, but until then I very strongly doubt that the NeoOffice project has the resources to implement it.

Last edited by James3359 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
NeoJob
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your reply, I was afraid so.

Still I want to stick onto my beautiful Cronos font with the Small Caps for my official documents. With OOo and NeoOffice it's going to be though Sad .
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Are -Character-Effects-Small Capitals real SC in Mac OS

NeoJob wrote:
When I copy-past my text into NeoOffice 2.2.5 I lose all my Smal Capitals. I've tried to retrieve them (Format–Character–Effects), but those Small Capitals are not the ones which came with the OpenType Font, is it? Especially the numbers don't show as Small Capitals (or Old Style Figures).

NeoOffice does not support any of the features in OpenType fonts. This is because Apple only added OpenType support for applications that rewrite their text layout and drawing code to use Apple's brand new functions that only exist in Mac OS X 10.5.

Since NeoOffice supports older versions of Mac OS X and Apple did not retrofit their OpenType support (Apple makes money through Mac OS X purchases), NeoOffice uses Apple's older text layout and drawing functions that do not support OpenType.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1