Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - locking column labels in Calc
locking column labels in Calc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhamish
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: locking column labels in Calc

I tried searching but I am unsure of the technical reference.

I would like the labels or titles at the top of the columns to stay in view as I add rows of information below in Calc. I have over a dozen car numbers I would like to stay in view as I add race points below for over 20 races. This would cut down a great amount of up/down eye movement in the columns.

Thank you for any help. H.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject:

Sure - look under Freeze in Help and it says:

Freezing Rows or Columns as Headers

If you have long rows or columns of data that extend beyond the viewable area of the spreadsheet, you can freeze them, which allows you to see the columns or rows as you scroll through the rest of the data.

1.Select the row below, or the column to the right of the row or column that you want to be in the frozen region. All rows above, or all columns to the left of the selection are frozen.
To freeze both horizontally and vertically, select the cell that is below the row and to the right of the column that you want to freeze.

2.Choose Window - Freeze.

To deactivate, choose Window - Freeze again.

- padmavyuha
dhamish
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the quick reply.

I will try it and let you know.

Have a great day. H.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject:

You're welcome - this is one of those many situations with software where you can't look up the relevant Help unless you already know the name of the function you're looking for Smile.
dhamish
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject:

It worked!!!! Thank you once again.

I had tried "lock" and "anchor". I may have tried "freeze" but would probably have set in on the row I wanted to freeze rather than the one below so it would not have worked correctly.

Great help here. H.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Aye, I remember being fooled by the 'not the one you want, the one under it' logic until I read the Help myself a while back. It's the same with putting page breaks in spreadsheets, if I remember correctly. I'm always doing it wrong the first time and having to back out and start again. I think it's another case of 'so it's more like Excel...' syndrome. I appreciate that the OpenOffice developers are trying to seduce MS Office users to their app, but it'd be good if obviously better ways of doing things were included as an option rather than just slavishly copying all the bad MS design decisions Smile
dhamish
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Be careful as you may invite boarders to attack.

It must be quite a balancing act between a direct copy vs "something better". A spreadsheet program I have has no way of freezing the column title, so I asked here. A friend has used old Quicken SE for a long time and finds anything else very difficult to work with so when I prepare a hard drive for her I will have to install OS 9.2.2 so she can run Classic. I had been hoping there was another for OS X as she tried iBank and others I found on the Net.

I have never installed MSO so NO is my training ground from AppleWorks and it is quite different from AW. If stuck I know where to get help. H.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1