Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Widow/Orphan Control?
Widow/Orphan Control?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimArends
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Widow/Orphan Control?

I hate it when a heading ends up as a widow. That's when the heading is separated from the text that follows it. The heading ends up at the bottom of the page and the text that is supposed to be below it lands on the top of the next page. Is there a way to control this in Writer, that is to say that text that is specified as a heading cannot be separated by the two or three lines that immediately follow it? That way, if there isn't room at the bottom of the page, the heading would jump to the top of the next page. I want to find a home for those widows and orphans. Crying or Very sad
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject:

Tim, I tried searching for 'widow' in NeoOffice Writer Help (Help>NeoOffice Help) and this brought up three entries. One was 'Text Flow' which is set when you format a paragraph or paragraph style, and which includes Widow Control and Orphan Control. Does this point you in the right direction?
TimArends
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks, that could be useful. I tried searching for 'widow' in both NeoOffice Help and in the PDF user guides and found no mentions. Maybe you have a later version? I have 2.2.1.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject:

TimArends wrote:
I have 2.2.1.

There have been numerous features added and bugs fixed since NeoOffice 2.2.1 was released about 2 years ago.

I recommend downloading and installing the latest stable release which is NeoOffice 2.2.5. Download it from the following url:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/download.php

After installing that, get the latest patch, which is currently Patch 6:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php

After updating, are the widow features available that you are looking for?

--fran
TimArends
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks, I see it in the newer version.

According to Help,

Widow control
Specifies the minimum number of lines in a paragraph in the first page after the break. Select this check box, and then enter a number in the Lines box. If the number of lines at the top of the page is less than the amount specified in the Lines box, the position of the break is adjusted.

That may work for my purposes. Strictly speaking, a heading is not really a "line in a paragraph" but is the line just above a paragraph. For example, in the section quoted above from Help, the words "Widow control" would be a heading and the paragraph is what follows it. However, if there is some way to specify that the heading is part of the paragraph that follows it, I think it will work.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject:

The setting I think you want for your headings is 'Keep with next paragraph' - the check box immediately above 'Orphan control'
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1