Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Maintaining format and column width on new sheets
Maintaining format and column width on new sheets

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socrbob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Maintaining format and column width on new sheets

Hello, is there a setting to keep the format and column width the same on sheets in calc.? I have to reset these when I insert a new sheet. Question I am using NO3.0.2
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject:

One way to do this is to use the menu Edit :: Select All and then Edit :: Copy on a sheet that is formatted the way you like. Then insert a new sheet and select Edit :: Paste Special. In the Paste Special dialog that opens make sure the Formats box is checked in the Selection section on the left. Depending on what else you want to copy and paste from the original sheet you can uncheck all the other check boxes, or leave the ones you want.

Another way to do this is to create a template. There is more information in this NeoWiki article on Creating Calc Templates.

Do either of these options answer your question?

--fran
socrbob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject:

narf, thank you for your info. The first method does not maintain the column width, there is no option for page format under the format tab. I will have to work on the template suggestion to see if that will work.
socrbob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject:

narf, I went back to NO 2.2.5 patch 6 and your first suggestion works. But as I mentioned I am using the 3.0 EA 2 patch 0 and it does not work in it. I will post a bug report about it. Thank you for your working suggestion.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. I did try the first option in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 Patch 0 and it worked for me there. I wonder if this is due to a test patch I installed. I will look into this a little further.

--fran
socrbob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Good, I will not post a bug report until I hear back from you.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I am going to move this thread to the NeoOffice Early Access Program Support forum.

Can you install the following test patch and let us know if this solves the problem with Paste Special and Format for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0_Early_Access_2-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0_Early_Access_2-Patch-0-Test-6-PowerPC.dmg

This is the test patch I am using.
thanks --fran
socrbob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject:

narf, if I make a test spreadsheet and automatically adjust the columns your test patch works. However, when I try it on my spreadsheet it does not. My spreadsheet has formulas and uses some lookup tables. Would that have anything to do with why it is not working?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject:

socrbob wrote:
narf, if I make a test spreadsheet and automatically adjust the columns your test patch works. However, when I try it on my spreadsheet it does not. My spreadsheet has formulas and uses some lookup tables. Would that have anything to do with why it is not working?

What is in a cell and the format for the cell should be two separate copyable things so I would not think that the formulas in your sheet are the problem. Are you pressing the Command-A keys in the new sheet before you select the Edit :: Paste Special menu? I ask because the entire sheet must be selected to paste the column widths and row heights.

If you are selecting the entire sheet, have you unchecked all options except the Format checkbox in the Selection section of the Paste Special dialog? I ask because if you have more than one checkbox checked in that section, they may be conflicting with each other.

Patrick
socrbob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Plumby, hello, if I command-a before the edit;paste special it pastes my information multiple times all the way to the bottom of the sheet. I tried selecting the format checkbox only; no good, did not keep the column widths. Besides if I did that how would I get my formulas, etc. to the new sheet? As I mentioned to narf earlier, everything works when I do this in NO 2.2.5 patch 6. I tried making a new spreadsheet by copying and paste special, but same results. All formulas and cell formats are correct, only problem is the column widths are not correct.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject:

socrbob wrote:
Plumby, hello, if I command-a before the edit;paste special it pastes my information multiple times all the way to the bottom of the sheet. I tried selecting the format checkbox only; no good, did not keep the column widths. Besides if I did that how would I get my formulas, etc. to the new sheet? As I mentioned to narf earlier, everything works when I do this in NO 2.2.5 patch 6. I tried making a new spreadsheet by copying and paste special, but same results. All formulas and cell formats are correct, only problem is the column widths are not correct.

It pastes multiple times? If this is happening, it sounds like you have only copied a portion of the first sheet and then, when pasting, NeoOffice is filling the much larger selection in the second sheet. Note that NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 is based on the OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code and Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers have made many changes since OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 (the version that NeoOffice 2.2.5 is based on).

The steps that I am using is to press Command-A in the first sheet, copy, press Command-A in the second sheet, select Edit :: Paste Special, check the Paste All checkbox if you want both format and formulas to be copied, and press the OK button.

Are you using slightly different steps than me?

Patrick
socrbob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject:

Pluby, you are correct. I was copying just the information part of my spreadsheet and then special pasting it. When I follow your procedure it works, all info and column widths transfer correctly. Thank you for your help. Should I be seeing a small spinning blue disk after I enter information and tab or hit enter to move to the next cell?
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject:

The blue spinning disk indicates the spreadsheet is is busy recalculating formulas.

If this is slowing down your spreadsheet too much you can turn off automatic recalculation by unchecking the Tools :: Cells :: AutoCalculate menu and only recalculate when necessary by selecting the Tools :: Cells :: Recalculate menu.

Does turning off AutoCalculate stop, or at least shorten, the appearance of the blue disk?

--fran
socrbob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Hello narf, yes turning off the auto-calculate stops the blue disk from appearing, but I think I will put up with the disk as I want to see some results as I enter data. Having to go thru the tool::cells::recalculate takes way more time and effort. The suggestion that pluby made, of selecting the full sheet, works but I did not have to do that in the 2.2.5 patch version 6. Any idea as to why? I will use his suggestion for now and hope that it can be set up like it was before in the 2.2.5 version 6. Thank you and pluby for your quick and very effective help with this matter, nice to have you around for things like this.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject:

socrbob wrote:
The suggestion that pluby made, of selecting the full sheet, works but I did not have to do that in the 2.2.5 patch version 6. Any idea as to why?

My only idea as to why things work differently in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 compared to NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 6 is one pluby mentioned earlier:
pluby wrote:
Note that NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 is based on the OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code and Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers have made many changes since OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 (the version that NeoOffice 2.2.5 is based on).

Approximately 2 years passed between the release of OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 and OpenOffice.org 3.0 and we are finding a lot of changes were made, especially in Calc. Some of these new features are welcome and some others seem like a step back Sad

For this reason we are going to continue to support NeoOffice 2.2.x along with NeoOffice 3.x.

That being said, I was never able to see any difference between the steps I did in NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 6 and NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2. This may be because my spreadsheet is not as complex as the one you are working with.

Could you please list the exact steps you use in NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 6 to copy column widths and formulas? The steps that do not work in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2.

thanks --fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum