· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - A feature request
A feature request

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheat
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: A feature request

This is not a big deal, and I don't know if you can incorporate this change or not, but this is something that I have always observed.

In NeoOffice, when you highlight text, it always shows a black highlight with white text.

All other Mac applications, however, use black text and a translucent highlight that is the color that you select in System Preferences: Appearance under "Highlight Color".

Would it be possible for NeoOffice to use the setting from the System Preferences?

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject:

OpenOffice.org 3.0 (and therefore NeoOffice 3.0) included this new feature; however, it was decided to remove it. More information is available in the following topic:

Selection colour in Calc NeoOffice 3.0
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Moved to the NeoOffice Early Access Program Support forum since this is a question about a customization we made in that release.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I should also add that while we had to remove this feature in NeoOffice 3.0 due to difficulty that so many people had seeing light blue at 75% transparency, hopefully in OpenOffice.org 3.1 they will implement this highlighting effect properly by drawing the highlight color under the text instead of over it. If they do that, we can easily darken the highlight color.

However, since they draw the highlight color over the text in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, we cannot darken the highlight color as it will obscure the text so we have gone with the old OpenOffice.org 2.4.1 code. While that old code may not be as sexy, it is high contrast so we are confident that everyone will be able to see both the highlight color and the text in the highlighted area.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Bad news. In OpenOffice.org's latest 3.1 development builds, they are using the "draw text underneath the highlight color" in both Writer and Calc. As you can see in the first attachment, the OOo 3.1 development build snapshot highlighted text is heavily washed out even with the highlight color being 75% transparent.

In contrast, as you can see in the second attachment, the Microsoft Office 2008 snapshot draws the text on top of the highlighted color. This allows Office use the darker system highlight color since it does not obscure the text like OOo 3.1 does.

Edit by pluby: correct attachment order

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject:

I have to say, I'd still like the option of either. Is there any way of making it a 'switchable by terminal command' kind of deal, as you did with something else recently? As I've no idea how much code is involved, I'm expecting the answer to be 'no' but I can dream...

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I have to say, I'd still like the option of either. Is there any way of making it a 'switchable by terminal command' kind of deal, as you did with something else recently? As I've no idea how much code is involved, I'm expecting the answer to be 'no' but I can dream...

Not going to happen. As I said in the other thread, I did not modify the Calc code. Instead, I copied files from the OpenOffice.org 2.2.5 code until the behavior reverted back.

In contrast, going in and modifying the OpenOffice.org code to have both the OpenOffice.org 2.2.5 and 3.0.1 functionality is a fairly invasive and non-trivial amount of work. In other words, the Terminal option is not where the bulk of the work is in this case.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:

Oh well, it was worth a shot - thanks for explaining.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum