Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc row and column headers have collapsed
Calc row and column headers have collapsed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ephemeris
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Calc row and column headers have collapsed

For no apparent reason, the column and row headers have collapsed to the point they are only a few pixels across. This is true for old and new spreadsheets under the latest NeoOffice 2 and 3 releases.

I assumed it was a corrupt user preference so I tried logging in as a different OS X user and got the same results.

Toggling the header off and on in the View menu does not fix the problem.

Also the sheet tabs at the bottom of the Calc window have collapsed on top of each other. Any ideas?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject:

Can you try the following steps and tell us if there is any change?:

1. Quit all running versions of NeoOffice
2. Move the following folders to the Desktop or Trash if they exist. Note that "~" means your Home folder:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x

3. Restart either version of NeoOffice.

Patrick
ephemeris
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: no joy

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately the problem is still present. (I rather expected that since I saw the same problem after logging in a different user, but it never hurts to check these things.)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject:

OK. If this is a sudden change, then I suspect that some software on your machine is interfering with NeoOffice's proper operation. So can you answer the following two question?:

1. Can you tell us which version of Mac OS X is displayed when you select the Apple :: About this Mac menu?

2. Can you open the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, paste the following commands in the Terminal application window, press the Return key, and paste the output into this forum topic?:

Quote:
ls -l ~/Library/InputManagers
ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support
ls -l /Library/InputManagers
ls -l /Library/Application\ Support

Patrick
ephemeris
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject:

I first saw the problem this morning under 10.5.5

I ran the combo updater for 10.5.6 to see if it would break something lose but when that didn't work I posted here.

Terminal output shows nothing interesting.

Last edited by ephemeris on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject:

The ls output indicates you have the SIMBL and Smart Crash Reports system hacks installed on your machine. Can you disable the following two system hacks?:

/Library/InputManagers/SIMBL
/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports

You can disable these system hacks by moving the above folders to your Desktop and rebooting. You can find the folders by double-clicking on the main volume icon on your desktop and, in the Finder window that appears, navigating down through the Library and InputManagers folders to find the SIMBL and Smart Crash Reports folders.

Does moving these two system hack folders and rebooting your machine fix the problem?

--fran
ephemeris
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Removed, rebooted, same problem.

I do not recall any recent installs that might have caused this problem. About the only thing I can recall was PRAM reset while working on a USB port issue.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject:

ephemeris wrote:
Removed, rebooted, same problem.

I do not recall any recent installs that might have caused this problem. About the only thing I can recall was PRAM reset while working on a USB port issue.

If you open the /Applications/Utilites/Console application and open a new Calc document in NeoOffice, are any messages added in the Console window? If so, can you paste the messages in this forum topic?

Patrick
ephemeris
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Problem solved!

Long story short, spotlight's mdworker process was running amok apparently. I found this repeatedly in the system.log file

Feb 9 14:12:36 Sand com.apple.launchd[95] (0x10db40.Locum[330]): Exited: Terminated
Feb 9 14:13:35 Sand mdworker[268]: (Error) Import: Importer force killed!
Feb 9 14:13:35 Sand com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10bea0.mdworker[268]): Exited with exit code: 1
Feb 9 14:13:39 Sand mdworker[331]: (Error) Import: Can't parse schema file '/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.4.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OOoSpotlightImporter.mdimporter/Contents/Resources/schema.xml'
Feb 9 14:17:39 Sand mdworker[331]: (Error) Import: Importer force killed!
Feb 9 14:17:39 Sand com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10bea0.mdworker[331]): Exited with exit code: 1
Feb 9 14:17:43 Sand mdworker[352]: (Error) Import: Can't parse schema file '/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.4.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OOoSpotlightImporter.mdimporter/Contents/Resources/schema.xml'
Feb 9 14:18:19 Sand com.apple.launchd[95] ([0x0-0x1f01f].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[201]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 205 PPID 1 grep
Feb 9 14:20:02 Sand com.apple.launchd[95] ([0x0-0x33033].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[366]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 369 PPID 1 grep
Feb 9 14:20:55 Sand [0x0-0x30030].com.apple.Console[350]: Console[350]: [FM] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags() returns #-43 for installers
Feb 9 14:20:55 Sand [0x0-0x30030].com.apple.Console[350]: Console[350]: [FM] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags() returns #-43 for media
Feb 9 14:21:45 Sand mdworker[352]: (Error) Import: Importer force killed!
Feb 9 14:21:45 Sand com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10bea0.mdworker[352]): Exited with exit code: 1
Feb 9 14:21:49 Sand mdworker[385]: (Error) Import: Can't parse schema file '/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.4.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OOoSpotlightImporter.mdimporter/Contents/Resources/schema.xml'
Feb 9 14:24:44 Sand StartupAgent[161]: <StartupAgent> -[MSTStartupAgent doWillPowerOffNotification:]
Feb 9 14:24:41 Sand [0x0-0x35035].org.neooffice.NeoOffice[0]: soffice.bin[380]: [FM] Adding System Pref Items

I opened the System Preferences/Spotlight pane and dragged all volumes into the exclude list to make mdworker cease and desist and now NeoOffice is back to normal. (See the attached file to see how it was messed up)

Thank you very much for the very prompt help! Few software groups can match this sort of support.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

That is weird that Spotlight could cause such behavior. I suspect that Spotlight was consuming excessive window manager resources which, in turn, was causing some of the Mac OS X Cocoa calls that we and Apple's Java code invoke to fail.

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject:

I just downloaded NeoOffice 3.0 and have the same problem mentioned above. Both the row and column headers are but a few pixels. Also the worksheet tabs are compressed.

I rely on Spotlight a lot so I'm reluctant to try that solution.

Just wondering if anyone had uncovered another fix.

Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject:

If you are seeing Spotlight run amok like ephemeris did, you may want to try temporarily disabling Spotlight by dragging all your volumes in the System Preferences application's Spotlight panel, wait a few minutes for CPU usage to drop down to normal levels, restart NeoOffice, and then remove your volumes from the System Preferences application's Spotlight panel.

Does that work for you?

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject:

Ho-lee, it worked. Thanks for your help.

But seriously, how bizarre is that?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject:

waterloobob wrote:
But seriously, how bizarre is that?

It actually is not that bizarre. When Spotlight sweeps through your volumes, for each file it determines which application "owns" the file and invokes that application's Spotlight plugin to index the file's contents.

While most applications' Spotlight plugins are do not use much CPU, I suspect that there are some applications out there that have Spotlight plugins that do a lot of processing when they read a file and that could be a reason that CPU in your case was so high.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Also note that in the above console logs, the error mdworker seems to be reporting is from the OpenOffice.org Spotlight plugin, not the NeoOffice Spotlight plugin. You may want to try removing one or the other. Spotlight does not let two plugins handle the same file types, adn I suspect both are claiming the same oasis UTIs.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7