· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc row and column headers have collapsed
Calc row and column headers have collapsed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject:

The 3.0 patch worked. Worked in that I was able to download it and apply it.

It didn't solve the problem.

Sorry but I'm tired of being made to look the idiot.

Good luck in resolving this issue.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject:

waterloobob wrote:
The 3.0 patch worked. Worked in that I was able to download it and apply it.

It didn't solve the problem.

That is bad news. Sad

Unfortunately, I have run out of theories as to what is causing this. Clearly it is a very, very rare bug as only two people have reported, but it is a bug nevertheless.

I want to thank waterloobob for working through all of the myriad of troubleshooting steps. Rare bugs like this are the most timeconsuming and frustrating to find the cause and this bug is no exception.

If any other NeoOffice 2.2.5 or 3.0 users are experiencing this bug and are willing to try a few troubleshooting steps, please feel free to post. In the meantime, I will continue to try to come up with some theories and steps to test those theories.

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject:

Something else for you to chew on.

I wondered if it could be as simple as the font. I went in Preferences, changed the font and the upper header appeared. I changed it back, quit, changed it again, reverted to default... in short as you can see in the first attachment it's back.

The other two attachments are showing what else I'm encountering.

FYI I'm running a very simple OS, nothing fancy added. The only problem I am experiencing is with Firefox streaming video. I can only get maybe two minutes out of it. I often have to Force Quit. I do not have this issue with Safari.

Good luck.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject:

At this point, it's nothing more than a wild guess, but have you used Font Book to check for duplicate fonts and to verify that all fonts are not corrupt? (On 10.5, it's Edit: Resolve Duplicates, and select all, then File: Validate Fonts.)

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject:

waterloobob wrote:
I wondered if it could be as simple as the font. I went in Preferences, changed the font and the upper header appeared. I changed it back, quit, changed it again, reverted to default... in short as you can see in the first attachment it's back.

I think your theory may be a good one. I noticed that after the test patch, the height of the column header is now OK and the remaining is the width of things. I only was able to fix queries for a font's standard height so it seems that the most likely cause of the remaining issue is that a font is returning zero width for any query of a word's width.

To test your theory, can you try the following steps? This will identify and disable any corrupt fonts or fonts that are not compatible with Mac OS X (some applications silently install fonts and Mac OS X does not always handle Windows fonts very well):

1. Launch the /Applications/Font Book application
2. In the Font Book application, click on a font in the Font section of the window and select the Edit :: Select All menu to select all fonts
3. Select the File :: Validate Fonts and in the dialog that appears, look for any fonts that have the red "serious problems" menu, and make a list of those fonts
4. Close the font validation window and for each of the "serious problems" fonts found in step 3, select the font in the Font section and select the Edit :: Disable "font name" Family menu

After doing the above, does the remaining compressed text problem still occur?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included yesterday's font height in NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 1. The new patch is identical to yesterday's patch. The only difference is that it is now an official patch and not a test patch. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php

I have also included the same fix in NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 9. If anyone is using NeoOffice 2.2.5, the patch can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/oldpatch.php

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Had a few yellows but no reads however I have good, albeit exasperating news. Both headers are now working.

In an effort to find out why Firefox was hanging so often I came across a post that said to simply Shut Down the Mac. Shut Down as opposed to Restart.

Couldn't be that easy but it was. Now my Firefox is streaming video like its old self and when I started NeoOffice I was almost confident I'd see both headers and I did.

So Shut Down is the lesson I guess.

Just wish I'd read that post a week ago.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject:

waterloobob wrote:
In an effort to find out why Firefox was hanging so often I came across a post that said to simply Shut Down the Mac. Shut Down as opposed to Restart.

I am glad to hear that you found something that work. Although I must admit that I always though Restart did the same as shutdown and the only difference was that during the shutdown process, Restart tells the hardware to reboot Mac OS X.

Maybe Mac OS X does some extra when selecting Shut Down that Restart skips like purging of Mac OS X font caches?

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject:

Update.

The old collapsing header phenom has returned.

Tried 'Shutting Down' to no avail.

Then I remembered being surprised a week or so ago to discover that I had Spotlight disabled. I guess I had done it during the attempts to remedy and had never turned it back on. I turned it back on.

Today, maybe a week after turning Spotlight back on the problem was back.

This time I've disabled Spotlight and the headers are back to their normal size.

What is interesting is that the top alphabetical header hasn't collapsed since I fiddled with the font. It's always just the numeric header on the left.

Something tells me Firefox is involved in all of this. I just update to 3.0.10. The problem I had with streaming video quitting after a minute and a half has also returned.

I'm learning to live without Spotlight. No great loss.

Thought you'd like to know.
pareto
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Hi. I'm experiencing the same issue and willing to test some things out if it will help.

I was able to make it disappear by adding my HD to the spotlight privacy list as well.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject:

pareto wrote:
I'm experiencing the same issue and willing to test some things out if it will help.

What version of NeoOffice are you running? You can check your version by selecting the Help :: About NeoOffice menu item.

--fran
martinohofer
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: collapsing row and columns headers

hello

I have the same problem like the users before, and it appeared "misteriously" after non having any problems with neooffice for more than 2 years on different machines and with different versions,
and on doing a google search I found this thread...

my configuration:
imac with os X 10.5.8
all actual patches installed (as of today)

had the problem with the latest 2.5 version of neooffice
then i upgraded to version 3.0
...same problem

when ckleaning the system caches on restart (pressing shift key) and starting in safe mode the problem dissapears
after a "normal" restart everything is "back to bad"...

any help appreciated
thx
martin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: collapsing row and columns headers

martinohofer wrote:
had the problem with the latest 2.5 version of neooffice
then i upgraded to version 3.0
...same problem

Upgrading NeoOffice will not have any effect as we found early in this forum topic that the problem is caused by one or Mac OS X Spotlight plugins.

The only known workaround is to disable Spotlight using the steps in this post.

Patrick
martinohofer
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject:

hi patrick
first: thx for the very quick response
indeed, after doing some google search in my mother language i(german) i found an non risky (for a user like me) instruction to disable spotlight...
and it misteriously killed the problem Wink
what i still don't understand, is why it popped up after having worked for more than 2 years...
i use different macs, this one is the only to show the issue..
strange...
nevertheless, from your point of view: will the new system, 10.6 solve this "bug"?
any ideas?
i normally do not tend to switch/upgarde OSes to soon, i still run 10.4 on 2 machines, just this (relatively) new Imac was not downgradable...
greetings
martin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject:

martinohofer,

I do not know the answer to any of your questions because this bug is not a NeoOffice bug.

Instead, this is a bug in one of the Spotlight plugins installed on your system so the bug must be fixed by the developers of whichever Spotlight plugin causes this bug.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7