Welcome to NeoOffice developer notes and announcements
NeoOffice
Developer notes and announcements
 
 

Download or installation problems? Try these steps
Problems after upgrading to NeoOffice 2022? Try these steps


Support
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki


Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice


Downloads
· Download NeoOffice


RSS Feeds
· Announcements Only
· All Posts


  
NeoOffice :: View topic - Alternate icons
Alternate icons
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Max_Barel
Oracle


Joined: May 31, 2003
Posts: 219
Location: French Alps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Alternate icons Reply with quote

I started a new thead to move this topic out of the alpha annoucement one. See the original thread for installation howto.
In http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652&start=30
ovvldc wrote:
One of the OOo 1.1.2 developers has a substantially prettier version of the icons you might be able to use.

Just tested it. the look is very Gnome/GTK.
I'll probably keep it just to differentiate from the "dark side" look, even if I'm not sure they are better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
ovvldc
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternate icons Reply with quote

Max_Barel wrote:
I started a new thead to move this topic out of the alpha annoucement one. See the original thread for installation howto.
In http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652&start=30
ovvldc wrote:
One of the OOo 1.1.2 developers has a substantially prettier version of the icons you might be able to use.

Just tested it. the look is very Gnome/GTK.
I'll probably keep it just to differentiate from the "dark side" look, even if I'm not sure they are better.


Well, I believe almost anything is an improvement over the Win3.1 feel I get from the standard icons.. <recent Windows convert notification>I never used Gnome, so I wouldn't know what it feels like.</recent Windows convert notification>

I tried the KDE-Look website, but couldn't get the icons to work. The Script gives an error. If someone can fix up a full set of the Aqua icons and any others that look 'Macish' I'd be happy to be the judge in a beauty contest (or just to try it out).
Back to top
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do really need some nice icons. IIRC from the last time this came up (here and here), OOo 1.1.x is supposed to support PNGs which gives us transparency and a "better" icon format.

I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination (you can see that from my lack of creativity/imagination in the NeoJ document icons), but since NeoJ is really "getting there" (rf Ed's work on menus down in Development), perhaps it's time to put out a call to some Mac GUI sites for some GPL Aqua icon designers for NeoJ? If contributors who can understand both the arcane OOo code and Mac programming are hard to find, perhaps icon artists are easier to locate and in some ways just as helpful?

Smokey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ovvldc
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:
OOo 1.1.x is supposed to support PNGs which gives us transparency and a "better" icon format.


I noticed that the KDE-Look icons are in PNG. Theoretically, that should allow a spiffy brushed metal background and other niceties, right?

sardisson wrote:
I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination (you can see that from my lack of creativity/imagination in the NeoJ document icons),


Well, there's icons out there. The crystal set that Terry (I think) used in 'Begin OOorg' could be a nice start for document icons.

sardisson wrote:
but since NeoJ is really "getting there" (rf Ed's work on menus down in Development), perhaps it's time to put out a call to some Mac GUI sites for some GPL Aqua icon designers for NeoJ? If contributors who can understand both the arcane OOo code and Mac programming are hard to find, perhaps icon artists are easier to locate and in some ways just as helpful?


<resounding ovation for Ed, lasting a good five minutes>

That is a very good idea. There must be someone with decent graphic skills and willingness to devote time to NeoOffice and gain eternal fame. How did the Mozilla people do that? It took ages before they organised it, but eventually they got some very nice ones. See, for instance:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/skins.html
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=85054
and http://update.mozilla.org/themes/
Must be a willing and able artist in there somewhere.. And there must be dozens of other sites on GUI design which I don't know about.

But this might be something for OO.org to pick up centrally. Of course, the Mac version needs to look different than the Windows version (or maybe they can all look like the Mac one), but all OOo needs new icons on *every* platform..
Back to top
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja


Joined: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 1373

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

on that note... could someone type up an explaination on how to install these icons? i swear i can't find this folder you guys are talking about...

_________________
http://jakeofalltrades.midatlantichorror.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lga
Sentinel


Joined: Sep 09, 2004
Posts: 25
Location: Paris, France

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

(tilde does not work in that textbox? using $HOME)

cd $HOME/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config/soffice.cfg
cp imagelist.xml imagelist.xml.orig
tar xpzf $HOME/Desktop/ooo_theme_mini.tar.gz

Voila.

Lga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lga
Sentinel


Joined: Sep 09, 2004
Posts: 25
Location: Paris, France

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of graphic resources, I would suggest tapping the Mac graphic community. A good starting point might be

http://www.resexcellence.com/

Lga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kevmck
Agent


Joined: Aug 20, 2003
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lga - that works like a charm! Not sure how to get the KDE icons to do the same, but this is a nice improvement over the default set. Smile

- Kevin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:
OOo 1.1.x is supposed to support PNGs which gives us transparency and a "better" icon format.


I noticed that the KDE-Look icons are in PNG. Theoretically, that should allow a spiffy brushed metal background and other niceties, right?


Theoretically. The problem, as you can see from the File>New... icon in this screenshot in the original thread, is that the rest of the app "background" is all Windows-grey, so you'd only have little bits of brushed metal around the icons clashing with Windows-grey. Sad If you poke around http://www.neooffice.com, you'll see the troubles Ed and Dan had trying to wipe out that grey and replace it with something more Mac-like (at least that's my read of it).

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:
I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination (you can see that from my lack of creativity/imagination in the NeoJ document icons),


Well, there's icons out there. The crystal set that Terry (I think) used in 'Begin OOorg' could be a nice start for document icons.


I don't like those much personally, but they are a huge improvement over the stock set in Start OpenOffice.org.... A lot of the KDE OOo (internal) icons I've seen still look very Windows-y, if maybe a bit more XP than 95... The Gnome (?) set that began this all looks a lot more Mac-like, imho, but it's too fuzzy for me (particularly since I'm PowerBook-only). Smile

ovvldc wrote:
<resounding ovation for Ed, lasting a good five minutes>


Ditto (and of course for Patrick; Alpha 1 seems to really have re-energized the NeoOffice(J) "community" here!)

ovvldc wrote:
But this might be something for OO.org to pick up centrally. Of course, the Mac version needs to look different than the Windows version (or maybe they can all look like the Mac one), but all OOo needs new icons on *every* platform..


I'll let someone else tackle that response Wink

Smokey


Last edited by sardisson on Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lga wrote:
On the subject of graphic resources, I would suggest tapping the Mac graphic community. A good starting point might be

http://www.resexcellence.com/


I was thinking the same while looking at the latest gorgeous document icon submissions this morning. I was wondering what kind of position ResEx had with respect to the international Mac community, but I guess it's known at least in Paris Smile

Can we/one of us draft a short little "call for volunteers + technical info on OOo internal icons" (I spent some time last night poking around the OOo website but couldn't find anything definitive about the number of icons, descriptions, which format are really supported, etc.), that Patrick can vet and then he or one of us could submit to ResEx and other sites?

Smokey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)


Joined: Sep 18, 2003
Posts: 434
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:
A lot of the KDE OOo (internal) icons I've seen still look very Windows-y, if maybe a bit more XP than 95... The Gnome (?) set that began this all looks a lot more Mac-like, imho, but it's too fuzzy for me (particularly since I'm PowerBook-only).

Having just downloaded them, there is an "Aqua" set of .png images which are distinctly MacOS X based. So anyone got any pointers on how we do get to use these ones in place of the defaults?

P.S. Is the "fuzziness" of the other set of icons partly due to the 72dpi/96dpi hack that Patrick used for the NO/J interface?

_________________
PBG4, 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 1GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 5400rpm 80GB HD, MacOS X 10.4.5

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja


Joined: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 1373

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe that there is a folder in the neo/j with all of the icons, so it would be that many...

additionally all of the tool bar ones as well, but those can be discerned from the GNOME ones.

i bet we could write up something...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja


Joined: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 1373

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKT wrote:
Having just downloaded them, there is an "Aqua" set of .png images which are distinctly MacOS X based. So anyone got any pointers on how we do get to use these ones in place of the defaults?

P.S. Is the "fuzziness" of the other set of icons partly due to the 72dpi/96dpi hack that Patrick used for the NO/J interface?



!!
where did you find those?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lga
Sentinel


Joined: Sep 09, 2004
Posts: 25
Location: Paris, France

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:

I was thinking the same while looking at the latest gorgeous document icon submissions this morning. I was wondering what kind of position ResEx had with respect to the international Mac community, but I guess it's known at least in Paris


I'm not sure geography has anything to do it, but rather connectivity to MacFixit, Xlr8yourmac, MacInTouch or MacBidouille Smile but when you're looking fo nice icons, that's the place.

Anyway, this is the only other site of the type I have in my bookmarks :
http://www.macmonkies.com/

Lga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja


Joined: Aug 12, 2003
Posts: 1373

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone remember this?

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=24

Brand X, it was X11, but had all of the Ximian icons in it.

(just thought i'd bring it up)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Planamesa Inc.
NeoOffice is a registered trademark of Planamesa Inc. and may not be used without permission.
PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Page Generation: 0.03 Seconds