Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Impress: odd multi-screen behaviour
Impress: odd multi-screen behaviour

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Impress: odd multi-screen behaviour

I experimented somewhat with the behaviour of NeoOffice 3.0 EA 2 patch 0 when using more than one display device during presentations (which is a common setting). The displays are set up in extended desktop mode. Some observations:
  • NeoOffice fails to detect that a display is connected/disconnected while it is running; you have to restart the application in order for the presentation settings to reflect the changed display setup.
  • After disconnecting the second display (and without restarting NeoOffice) any change in the presentation settings with respect to which display to use is not taken in account when restarting the presentation.
  • When presenting on an external display (which is the most common setting), the remote control cannot be used.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Impress: odd multi-screen behaviour

Gust wrote:
I experimented somewhat with the behaviour of NeoOffice 3.0 EA 2 patch 0 when using more than one display device during presentations (which is a common setting). The displays are set up in extended desktop mode. Some observations:
  • NeoOffice fails to detect that a display is connected/disconnected while it is running; you have to restart the application in order for the presentation settings to reflect the changed display setup.
  • After disconnecting the second display (and without restarting NeoOffice) any change in the presentation settings with respect to which display to use is not taken in account when restarting the presentation.
  • When presenting on an external display (which is the most common setting), the remote control cannot be used.

I will have to investigate the first two items further. However, the third item seems odd as the remote control code has no screen dependency in it. Instead, it works by Mac OS X telling the application that it has focus and when Mac OS X tells our remote control that it has focus, it will grab control of the remote control until you change focus to another application.

So, does NeoOffice have focus when you are running the presentation? Or have you switched focus to another application or to a non-presentation window within NeoOffice?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Impress: odd multi-screen behaviour

I can reproduce the first item in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 but not in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 so this is definitely a NeoOffice bug. I have created bug 3416 for this bug. Please add yourself to the CC: list in that bug and you will get e-mail notification when I have a fix for this bug.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I think that I have fixed this bug and I have posted test patches for both NeoOffice 2.2.5 and NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 in my last posts in bug 3416.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I think that I have fixed this bug and I have posted test patches for both NeoOffice 2.2.5 and NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 in my last posts in bug 3416.

Ok, I'll test the patch tomorrow when I'm back in my office and have a second display available.

I will also revisit the two other issues I reported to see if I can reproduce them.
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

NeoOffice with the patch (tested on 3.0 EA 2 Intel) manages to detect a change in display status without restarting. But it now fails to display the presenter's screen on the other monitor as it should (and originally did) in an extended desktop setup. Moreover, the issue with the remote control is still there. I insist on it: remote control does only work if slide show is on the default (first) monitor.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
pluby wrote:

NeoOffice with the patch (tested on 3.0 EA 2 Intel) manages to detect a change in display status without restarting. But it now fails to display the presenter's screen on the other monitor as it should (and originally did) in an extended desktop setup. Moreover, the issue with the remote control is still there. I insist on it: remote control does only work if slide show is on the default (first) monitor.

It displays on the second monitor OK for me so what do you mean by "extended desktop"? Is this some sort of third-party software? I just plugged in a second monitor into my the second Mac DVI slot.

As for the remote control, I still need to know which window in which application has focus as the remote control code will direct all remote control events to the focus window. The remote control software does not know which window is the "presentation" window so it must guess by sending remote control events to the focus window.

To test if the presentation window has focus, can you click in the presentation window after starting the presentation? Does the remote control starting working after that?

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
It displays on the second monitor OK for me so what do you mean by "extended desktop"? Is this some sort of third-party software? I just plugged in a second monitor into my the second Mac DVI slot.

Let me make a distinction between three possible setups:
  1. single monitor setup
  2. dual monitor setup with both displays synchronised
  3. dual monitor setup with an extended desktop (i.e. independent display composition)
The first setup is straightforward. You can't select a display, which makes sense as there only is one. When starting a presentation, a second window is opened with the slide show. Whatever of both windows has the focus (i.e. the odp document or the slide show), the remote control does it's job. Correct functionality persists after changing display setup without reopening the ods file.

The second setup should result in the same behaviour (as both displays are synchronised and act as a single display), but for a strange reason NeoOffice does allow you to select a presentation monitor. When you change the display setup to synchronised displays after the file is opened, correct behaviour is observed. However, if you already have synced displays upon opening the file, a third window (the presenter's display) will come up in front of the slide show, which makes no sense (and you can only get to the slide show by using the cycling windows keyboard shortcut). But still the remote control does it's job, whatever of the three windows has the focus and whatever of the displays you've selected for the slide show.

The third setup works correctly when switching the display setup after opening the odp file: when starting the presentation, a second window with the slide show opens on the selected monitor, and a third window with the presenter's display comes up on the alternative monitor. If you open the odp file after setting up the displays, the third window with the presenter's display fails to open. In both setups (displays first or opening file first), the remote control does only work when the main monitor is selected for the presentation (slide show), whatever window has the actual focus (I cycle through them using the keyboard shortcuts).

Hope this describes the behaviour somewhat accurately. I'm running out of battery power, so I'll leave it here for now.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject:

OK. I think that I understand the issues. Here is what I have found so far:

1. When monitors are mirrored, the Slideshow :: Slideshow Settings dialog dispays two montors instead of just one - This same behavior occurs in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 (which NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 is based on) so this is an OpenOffice.org bug and not a NeoOffice bug.

Unfortunately, our very limited funding and developer resources limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing OpenOffice.org bugs is outside that scope.

You can file a bug in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers and if they fix the bug, the new behavior will get included in a future release of NeoOffice:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Note : our advice is to not mention NeoOffice as mentioning NeoOffice may cause OOo volunteers to accidentally close it without actually reviewing your bug.

2. When monitors are mirrored, the console window appears in front of the presentation window - This I can reproduce and since it does not occur in OpenOffice.og 3.0.1, this is our bug and I will investigate this further.

3. The remote control does not work when the presentation window is on a secondary screen - Unfortunately, I have no way to debug this as my MacMini Intel only has a single video port. So, at this point I will work on problem 2 and hope that whatever fixes that also fixes this problem.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
OK. I think that I understand the issues.

Mirrored is effectively the word I was looking for when using synchronised. And by presenter's display I meant console window. Pardon me for the confusion, I'm not a native speaker.
pluby wrote:
1. When monitors are mirrored, the Slideshow :: Slideshow Settings dialog dispays two montors instead of just one - This same behavior occurs in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 (which NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 is based on) so this is an OpenOffice.org bug and not a NeoOffice bug.

Ok. That bug seems not to do much harm anyway as it in no way affects the behaviour.
pluby wrote:
2. When monitors are mirrored, the console window appears in front of the presentation window - This I can reproduce and since it does not occur in OpenOffice.og 3.0.1, this is our bug and I will investigate this further.

3. The remote control does not work when the presentation window is on a secondary screen - Unfortunately, I have no way to debug this as my MacMini Intel only has a single video port. So, at this point I will work on problem 2 and hope that whatever fixes that also fixes this problem.

Ok. I've a MacBook and will do the testing after problem two is addressed.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject:

It took a full day of debugging, but I think that I have found the causes of the following two bugs. The first was particulary difficult to find as it was a bug in Apple's Java code that caused Java to think there mirrored monitors were two separate monitors:

pluby wrote:

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if these two bugs are fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0_Early_Access_2-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0_Early_Access_2-Patch-1-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Also, I have backported the fix into NeoOffice 2.2.5. If you have NeoOffice 2.2.5 installed, can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-7-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-7-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you install the following test patch and tell us if these two bugs are fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0_Early_Access_2-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Tested this patch. Still a couple of issues left, but we are definitely getting closer. Here are my observations:
  1. Remote control issues are gone now. Great!
  2. In a mirrored setup I still get the (obsolete) console window in front of the slide show window when starting a presentation.
  3. When first starting a presentation in single monitor setup, then stopping the presentation, next switching to dual monitor extended desktop setup (so no mirroring) and finally restarting the presentation (the whole operation without closing the ods file) the console window fails to come up.
  4. Depending on the logical arrangement of the displays making up the extended desktop, there can be a interfering window shade over an edge of the slide show window.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject:

Can you list out the sizes and and relative positions of your monitors? Please note which ones are mirrored when mirroring is enabled.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you list out the sizes and and relative positions of your monitors? Please note which ones are mirrored when mirroring is enabled.
I work with a two monitor setup in a vertical arrangement. The build in monitor of my MacBook is the default monitor (with the menu bar) and is at the bottom of the virtual desktop, the external monitor is arranged at the top. In the case of mirroring the external monitor takes over the settings of the build in one as the latter has a smaller resolution. But to me it seems to be a bit of a philosophical discussion as to which monitor is mirroring which one.

Edit: sizes are 1280 x 800 (internal MacBook display) and 1280 x 1024 (external LCD display).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
Edit: sizes are 1280 x 800 (internal MacBook display) and 1280 x 1024 (external LCD display).

I think you are hitting the bug in Apple's Java code that I found. That bug shows two monitors instead of one when mirroring is enabled.

Can you download the attached file to your Desktop (move it the Desktop if it downloads to a different folder), open the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal application window, press the Return key, and paste the output into this forum topic?:

Code:
java -classpath ~/Desktop Test

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum