· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Java
Java

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjmurphy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Java

Yesterday I downloaded and installed without any hitches ooo1.0.3. Limited use has been smooth. However I cannot connect to my MySQL database and I query if that is now operational. Neither JDBC (error message "no java installed") nor ODBC (still looking for a ".so" library) connect. I think the notes indicated that JDBC was operational and if so can I have some pointers to get it going Question

(Machine - PowerBook G3, 320M ram, 400mhz, OSX 10.2.6)

"During a stipulated round, a player shall not give advice to anyone in the competition except his partner and may ask advice only from his partner or either of their caddies"
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject:

Hmm...yes, we did have JDBC connectivity fixed for the 1.0.1 Final Beta release, but to my knowledge you're the first person trying it out in 1.0.3 It's possible that it may have regressed. Setting up a database connection in 1.0.x is unfortunatly a tricky process. I believe wizards are being added to the core product in 1.1. It is possible our 1.0.3 OS X installation is not able to talk to Java, however.

In terms of figuring out how to set up a connection you may want to take a look at the JDBC chapter of the StarOffice database connection setup manual:

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-0364?q=staroffice

Note the first few chapters refer to the Adabas which ships only with the commercial StarOffice and not OpenOffice.org.

For Java troubleshooting, you may want to take a look at the following thread on OOoDocs:

http://www.ooodocs.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=284&sid=7df2abf892419f80a4b9e2d558d6a64b

It is very possible I forgot to include the "javarc" file in the installer, which may be why you're having issues connecting to Java.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject:

You may also want to try the general user guide and troubleshooting guides from the main StarOffice documentation pages at:

http://docs.sun.com/db/coll/999.2?q=staroffice+users+guide

ed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject:

A quick response because I am WORKING. I put in a javarc file as per this post:

http://www.ooodocs.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=284&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=a9ee8ca06cad696270e3ab1b8565553b

and even though it refers to java 1.3.1 and I have upgraded to java 1.4.1 it works. I have not had time to follow the thread further and I have not played a lot with the database yet but I am online!! Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for that.

"The player is responsible for knowing the rules and the conditions under which the competition is to be played (Rule 33-1)"
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the feedback. I'll make sure that our next 1.0.3 release candidate will have this javarc file automatically installed. I'll put a section in the release notes about what to edit to add the JDBC driver onto the classpath if it's not in the default system classpath...I remember seeing that line in there.

Thanks for tracking this down! I knew Patrick had added in support for using Java 1.4.1, and it's a relief to know that it's just a missing javarc file in our installer and not some funky broken code :p

ed
pjmurphy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I did not change the javarc file to refer to java 1.4.1 - left it referring to java 1.3.1. I will try it with a change to use java 1.4.1 when I get a moment and let you know how it goes.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm not actually sure if it matter which java the javarc file is commenting to...I know it makes a difference when shelling out or using java from the command line, but I'm unsure of how the dual-java installation on a 10.2 box with 1.4.1 (which leaves 1.3.1 in place) interacts with programs that load a VM into their own address space (like OOo).

Anyway, let me know Smile It's easy to fit the installer to switch between a 1.3.1 and 1.4.1 configured javarc file depending on which Java version is available at install time.

ed
pjmurphy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Hi

I amended the references in the javarc file to java 1.4.1 instead of java 1.3.1 and all still worked well. Seems it works with java 1.4.1 unless something "hidden" to me is going on. Very Happy
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject:

thx for the info. I'll make the installer switch between 1.3.1 and 1.4.1 in the javarc file depending on what's on the comuter at time of installation. As to upgrading java after installing OOo, I'll include a note on the versioning in the release notes. Thanks a million! This should be in our RC2 OOo installer, due hopefully soon after we finalize some of the accented characters and printing page size issues that have cropped up, and installer bugs, and...well, you get the picture Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1