· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - INstall OpenOffice no cd only 2 dvd
INstall OpenOffice no cd only 2 dvd

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
33Nick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: INstall OpenOffice no cd only 2 dvd

Hi,

I started the install and got stuck at when asked to give the 3rd cd. I only have two DVDs.

Does anybody know how to get around this?

Thanks,

Nick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm not positive how the OOo installer looks for the X11 installer package (that's what's on CD 3 of a retail Mac OS X 10.3 set), so the OOo installer might find and install X11 if you insert whichever DVD has the package on it.

Otherwise, find and manually install X11 first and then install OOo. (See this FAQ if you can't find X11 on one of the DVDs....

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't aware that 10.3 shipped on DVDs in the retail box...only the three CD set was standard back in the day.

If you don't have the black 3 CD retail Panther CD set, you can download Apple X11 manually from:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/download/

You should download and install that first. The next time you launch the OOo installer after installing Apple X11 all of those prompts for the CD should go away.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mac OS X on DVD

OPENSTEP wrote:
I wasn't aware that 10.3 shipped on DVDs in the retail box...only the three CD set was standard back in the day.

ed

I was waiting to see what you would say on this subject.

Unfortunately you have a tendency to sometimes ignore or miss feedback that I provide you. I did describe the issue to you when we were testing the Installer :

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=2507#2507

To use your own words, perhaps you were in a "drunken stupor" at the time Wink

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I was probably in one Wink

I did wind up having to hardcode the path to the CD itself in the installer, unfortunately. At the time I was only expecting the Software Restore CDs to pose issues, not retail 10.3. I did put the URLs to the download location online in all of the error boxes too. Thankfully Apple's set up redirects that will take you to the right place for them.

Perhaps next time around we can convince Apple to install X11 by default on their boxes...Wink

ed
neil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: X11 on 'System Restore DVD'

There may be another option besides downloading the 40 MB X11 install from Apple, if you don't have the three CD set.

If your new machine came pre-installed with Mac OS X (10.3), and you have a 2 DVD set labelled 'Software Install and Restore', the X11User.pkg file is still available on those DVD's, it is just hidden Smile

The file is in a hidden folder. One easy way to get to it is to use Finder's Go menu to find it:

1. Insert and open up the first DVD.

2. Select the "Go" menu, then "Go to folder..."

3. Enter "System/Installation/Packages"

The X11User.pkg file is right in there! Run it to install X11.

This worked on my new iBook G4. It was based on a tip given on Apple's support discussion forums, which referenced a new iMac.

(I hope that, despite my status as a mere lurker, the people in charge of documentation see this and include it in the Readme file, so that other users don't have to spent an entire afternoon trying to figure this out, as I did Smile ).
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject:

In theory the installer does execute that installer on the third CD. That's the .pkg file it's searching for when it prompts you for the CD. I haven't QA'd it against newer retail 10.3 CD sets since I purchased my 10.3 set when it was first released, however.

Unless the name of the CD changed, the path should still be valid. anyone with a newer set then me care to report?

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1