Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - cannot open an ".ods" file anymore
cannot open an ".ods" file anymore

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacques2
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: cannot open an ".ods" file anymore

no explanation why !!! just appear now a window titled "filter selection"
with three options : ok, cancel and help .....
who can help me to get back my file
thank you so much
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the forms at trinity. I am sorry that you are having trouble. Note that I have moved your post to the NeoOffice Support forum, since you need help with NeoOffice.

Does this happen with only one particular .ods file, or does it happen with all .ods files? If you select a translation option and click ok, what happens? Is the file password protected?

If it is just one file and it is not password protected, by best guess is that it has become corrupted somehow.

Lorinda
Jacques2
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject:

thank you for prompt ansmer, it just happened with juste one file, no password registered for opening it....what translation could you recommend
thank you
Jacques
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject:

There is a chance the file is corrupt.

Is this a document you can share with us? If yes, please attach the document to this post using the following instructions:

How to attach files to your post

Even if the file is corrupt we can try and see if we can recover any of it.

--fran
Jacques2
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:

thank you I cannot share this file

Jacques
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject:

If it were me, I would try the various "translation" or "filter" settings and see what happens. But narf/fran may have a better suggestion.

Lorinda
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
If it were me, I would try the various "translation" or "filter" settings and see what happens. But narf/fran may have a better suggestion.

Lorinda's suggestion is the best place to start.

Jacques2 wrote:
thank you I cannot share this file

OK, I understand. I was hoping we could try and help you recover the document in case it was corrupt.

All corrupt files cannot be recovered, but if you are comfortable working in the Terminal Application I can point you to some steps to try.

I recommend you make a copy of your file before starting these steps and use that copy to try and repair the corrupted file. That way if you corrupt the file even more, you still have the original.

pluby listed steps he used in Bug 3386 to repair a corrupt file. The steps are in the third comment from the end. There is some information at the beginning of that comment about a password that you can ignore since you do not have a password on this document.

I know these steps are not easy. pluby even mentions that it took him a certain amount of experimenting to work them out. Unfortunately I do not have any other ideas without seeing the document.

--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1