· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Disabling NeoOffice's Quick Look plugin
Disabling NeoOffice's Quick Look plugin

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Does the PDf Quicklook really improve the quicklook that much?

I've tried a view (without PDF and with PDF) and the difference is only some minor formating issues.

The no-PDF QuickLook also shows the following pages to scroll through while the PDF version only showed the first page.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject:

mat wrote:
Does the PDf Quicklook really improve the quicklook that much?

Yes. It does if you have an complex formatting like tables, columns, images, etc. Also, Apple's QuickLook plugin does not provide any support for Calc, Impress, and Math documents so without the NeoOffice Quick Look plugin and the embedded PDF, you get no Quick Look support for those document types.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Yeah the question really is whether QuickLook is still a "file preview" as Apple originally intended it...but for certain types Apple themselves has tried to make it more of a full "document viewer". My thought, at least, is that if you really want to see something on Page 53, it's probably best to open the full document so you can start searching and get access to the whole contents Smile

Also, when we were adding this in, there was the option of doing the first page only, a couple pages, or the entire document. People do make very long documents, however, and we quickly realized that exporting the entire document just to make a thumbnail would both really bloat the file size, not to mention make saves take quite a bit longer. Using just the first page seemed like a nice balance between offering a quick thumbnail preview and still keeping smaller file sizes and quick saves.

ed
mat
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject:

First i have to add that i really dont care about the filesize, my post is just about "what will i get if i press space?"

OPENSTEP wrote:
Yeah the question really is whether QuickLook is still a "file preview" as Apple originally intended it...but for certain types Apple themselves has tried to make it more of a full "document viewer". My thought, at least, is that if you really want to see something on Page 53, it's probably best to open the full document so you can start searching and get access to the whole contents Smile

Well for me i could care less about formulas in the documents, i just want to look inside. (and i basicly only use Writer, so the other ones doesnt matter to me that much)

Having only one page or having a more accurate/complete content...
Good question, but if I have to choose, i'd choose all pages.

From my point of view quicklook is a way to see the content without opening the App, so seeing only a fraction of the content (only 1 page) is quite limiting.
I use quicklook sometimes to avoid opening the app and find a specific information in a document. (that is quite often not on the first page)

To just see if that is the right document or not, it is enough to see just the titlepage.

What about an option to turn it on/off? (only in Writer)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject:

mat wrote:

The Mac OS X Finder controls which Quick Look plugin to use and, unfortunately, Mac OS X provides no way for users to turn a configure which plugins it load.The only thing you can do to disable a Quick Look plugin is to delete it and reboot.

To delete NeoOffice's Quick Look plugin using the following steps. After doing the following steps, Mac OS X will always Apple's Quick Look plugin for .odt files. Note that you will need to do this after each NeoOffice installation as the main installer and patch installers will reinstall the plugin:

1. Control-click on the NeoOffice application icon in the Finder and select Show Package Contents in the popup menu that appears

2. A Finder window will appear that contains a folder called Contents. Navigate into the Contents folder and then navigate into the Library subfolder where you should see a QuickLook folder.

3. Drag the QuickLook folder to the Trash, empty the Trash, and reboot.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject:

FYI. Since other users may be interested to know how to disable NeoOffice's Quick Look plugin, I have moved mat's posts to its own forum topic so that it will be easier to find.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject:

To go at this another way: if someone wanted to use Apple's QL support for .odt files but still wanted .ods, .odp, .sxw, etc. support that NeoPeek provides, would removing the PDF preview (or the PDF and OOo's PNG) from the .odt file be sufficient to trigger fallback to Apple's plugin for that document?

If so, I could then envision some sort of folder action script or even something triggered by fsevents that would zap the preview from the zip file after saving....

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
To go at this another way: if someone wanted to use Apple's QL support for .odt files but still wanted .ods, .odp, .sxw, etc. support that NeoPeek provides, would removing the PDF preview (or the PDF and OOo's PNG) from the .odt file be sufficient to trigger fallback to Apple's plugin for that document?

Depends. The Finder appears to cache what the Quick Look plugin outputs (hence why you need to reboot after deleting a plugin) so doing the invasive steps of modifying an .odt file (which I think is extremely if any application has the file open) may not work until after your next reboot.

Also, modifying the .odt file has the effect of disabling NeoOffice's Quick Look plugin for anyone that you send the file to. If you really don't want PDF previews in any of your ODF files, the recommended solution is to use OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org's Mac OS X releases provide no Quick Look support whereas removing NeoOffice's Quick Look task is not really possible for users.

Patrick
mat
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
mat wrote:

The Mac OS X Finder controls which Quick Look plugin to use and, unfortunately, Mac OS X provides no way for users to turn a configure which plugins it load.The only thing you can do to disable a Quick Look plugin is to delete it and reboot.

thats not what i meant.

I want to disable the "Put the PDF in a .odf file" function.

(actually, i'm not sure, if i really want it, but it sounds like a good idea)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, right now there's no way to turn thumbnailing off, either the PDF or the PNG thumbnailing. Since we rely on the thumbnailing for portions of our software functionality, I'll doubt we'll be adding any ability to disable it.

If you really need to strip the thumbnails out of the files, the best solution I can think of would be to write a shell script that uses the command-line zip utilities to remove the thumbnail from the OpenDocument zip file. If you pick a specific folder where you save all your documents, you can then use Folder Actions to use this script to process all OpenDocument files saved in that directory to strip any portions you want. You'll probably need to encapsulate your shell script in an AppleScript with a "do shell script" command.

Some more details on Folder Actions are here:

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/folderactions.html

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject:

That's essentially what I was proposing above; if you go that route, note Patrick's concerns about touching the .odt file while any application has it open. Presumably there are dangers of data loss and file corruption; I can't remember off-hand if there are ways for AppleScript (or shell script) have a way to detect whether a file is open or not.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject:

Ah, duh I totally missed that Embarassed Yeah, you had it first Very Happy

Offhand I actually don't know of any way...for OOo/Neo 2.x I suppose you could check for whether the lock file exists. I did find this little cryptic AppleScript entry on a quick google search:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/applescript-users/2001/Jul/msg00868.html

I don't think I've ever seen that particular command referenced before, though.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1