Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice Hanging on cut and paste in Calc
NeoOffice Hanging on cut and paste in Calc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: NeoOffice Hanging on cut and paste in Calc

NeoOffice 3.0 EA 2 has hung on me today. I had just cut several rows from one location in an (xls) spreadsheet and tried to paste them into another location on the same sheet.

Now the cell I selected to paste into is huge--several "normal" cells wide and deep--and Neo appears to have hung. If I click and hold down on Neo's icon in the dock, I can choose from a list of open windows, and that window will eventually show up, but I can't do anything.

Activity Monitor shows CPU usage topped out, with Neo running between 55-75% of CPU.

I am attaching a sample. If force quitting and restarting doesn't clear it up, I'll post back with more info.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:

We've had a recent post (or bug?) on this (but I can't find it right now Sad ); I thought Patrick fixed it in a patch or test patch Confused

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the hint! I think I found the post you were referring to:

https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7028.

I'll install the test patch. I was not pasting entire sheets, but it may be related. Force quitting and restarting helped, although working with another spreadsheet things did slow down considerably. (but I wasn't pasting, and it did not hang).

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the sample! From looking at the sample it seems that Neo is caught up in some type of odd lock condition. "Locks" are kind of like the conch in Lord of the Flies...

Many different parts run in the application at the same time, but certain things can only be used by one part at a time. In the sample, one part is trying to get a lock to update the menu enabled state after the paste. Another part is trying to parse all of the text being pasted in. I suspect there's something going on where it's holding the "conch" and not letting the other part do its work Sad

Offhand, are you using any data sources or database lookups in the spreadsheet? I'm seeing some ODBC database calls in the sample, but they may just be trying to do the precision formatting of numbers being displayed.

ed
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the explanation, Ed.

There are no datasources or lookups in that spreadsheet, but that spreadsheet is the source for an odb file. (The odb file was not not open, nor had it been at all that day). The spreadsheet did have a "window freeze" set.

I had several other files open in Neo at the time, including some other spreadsheets and at least one docx file.

I have since copied the same group of cells and pasted them and it worked fine.

I have downloaded test patch 8, from the bug Smokey was referring to, but I have not installed it yet. Will do that today.

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah, if it was just the source I don't think that number formatting issue is database related. I'll keep trying to see if I can get it to replicate myself. I remember seeing something similar to this once in very early builds, but I too had many different docs open and wasn't able to pin down what led to it Sad

ed
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject:

The comment about parsing the text got me to thinking. One column of the spreadsheet involved in the cut and paste included e-mail addresses, most of which were auto-formatted as links. Could that be a piece of it?

So far it hasn't replicated, and I don't have time at the moment to see if I can play around enough to get it to replicate again.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject:

So much for not having time to replicate it!

I was just in the middle of pasting info from one spreadsheet document (an xls file) to another (an ods file), when Neo hung again.

This time, however, Neo was not using up CPU. I had trouble finding it in the Activity Monitor list until I filtered for it. It was using 0% but was in red, marked "application not responding."

I installed test patch 8 this morning, before this latest episode. Neither of the two spreadsheets I was working with just now are the same as the one I had trouble with earlier. Neither use data sources or lookups. Neither are datasources for odb files.

It does look like there was something odd about what I ended up copying, however. I use Butler to store the last 7 or so clipboards, and I just checked the contents of the clipboard from the last copy I made in the spreadsheet (the content that I was trying to paste), and it appears empty. When I paste it here, I just get a couple of additional empty lines.

I have had periodic problems with cutting a batch of cells, then trying to paste them with no effect. I have to undo several times until the data is back in the original spot and try again. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce that one, either. Now I'm wondering if the two issues are related.

New sample attached

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Well, they are related in a way...this lock also is occurring when the menu state is updating Sad This time Java itself is trying to dispatch from yet a different thread a call to the main thread to change a menu title, but the main thread is blocked as its waiting to update the menus. That seems to be the underlying factor that I can see tying those two samples together.

The only other thing I cna think of is that both of them seem to be due to menus triggered via keyboard shortcuts. While this may be a shot in the dark (and annoying, I know) you may want to temporarily try using the Paste from the menu or the toolbar button instead of the keyboard shortcut. That might at least eliminate the keyboard shortcuts as the culprit Sad

I'll start racking my brain trying to piece together what might lead to this deadlock situation.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Ah, looking at the first one again, it does look like that was fromthe Edit menu. So perhaps using the Paste toolbar icon might be the only way to avoid the specific menu updating issue I'm seeing in the two samples.

ed
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject:

Is using the toolbar icon for cut and paste a suggestion to avoid the hangs, or something you want me to do to troubleshoot?

One of the odd things is both times I had already copied (or cut) and pasted several times without much in the way of difficulties.

Yesterday's spreadsheets did include e-mails, too, although the cells I was copying did not, unless my finger slipped in making the selection.

There does seem to be some underlying instability in copy/cut and pasting. I'll search the OOo Community forums and see if there are reports of pasting problems in OOo 3.0.1

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject:

I just scanned the Calc forum at OOo Community Forum, and didn't see anything.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject:

Yeah I think this is something unique to the way we handle menus. We update menus slightly differently than OOo does internally in our implementation. I suspect something may have been added within the source code of OOo 3.0 that is now conflicting with our method.

Using the toolbar icon may be a workaround to avoid the hang. The toolbar icon will trigger the menu updating in a different way than keyboard shortcuts or the menu item, and I'm hoping that perhaps that different sequence might avoid this lockup.

ed
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the help, Ed.

I forgot to ask: If it happens again, should I upload another sample?

I may stick with keyboard commands for the moment, since the issue is intermittent.

It may be a while before I need to copy/cut and paste in Calc. But I'll post more if I discover anything new. Maybe I can remember to use the toolbar buttons (it means adding them back) that time and see if the hang happens that way.

Lorinda
Markk
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: One more (negative) datapoint

I've copied several thousand rows of over 50 columns around from one sheet to another inside a one spreadsheet many times, and have not tickled this yet. Just another data point. I don't have any multiple column or row cells. All sorts of defined ranges and lookups though.

Hope this helps in limiting things.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum