· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice Hanging on cut and paste in Calc
NeoOffice Hanging on cut and paste in Calc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the added input, Markk. It's good to know it's relatively unusual.

I realized that I forgot to specify I'm running OS 10.4.11 on a PPC machine.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject:

Lorinda,

Although I cannot reproduce this right now, the sample does give some clues as to where in the code the deadlock is occurring so Ed has created bug 3425 for this problem.

Ifyou add yourself to the CC: list in that bug, you will get automatically notified when there is a test patch available that might fix the bug.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Patrick. I have added myself to the CC list.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject:

I had another hang in NeoOffice again today. This time I did not have any Calc files open, and I was not cutting and pasting. I only had Writer documents open. I had closed a document and shifted to Firefox to copy something. I could not return to Neo, as it was "not responding."

It is possible that the document I closed was the only open document at the time. When I restarted Neo, only one untitled document showed up in the document recovery window. Unfortunately I don't remember if that's the window I closed (and it hung trying to close it) or if I had closed a different document and thus left the Untitled one up.

I don't have any way of knowing whether this is caused by the same problem as my earlier Calc problems or not. I did notice a reference to updating native menus in the sample, so I decided to add this post and the same to this thread. If you think it is a different issue, I have no objection to splitting this post out into a new thread.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda,

The sample shows that this deadlock is occurring in the same code as your earlier sample so it is the same bug.

I doubt that the deadlocking has anything to do with what documents you have open. More likely, deadlock bugs like this tend to be more reproducible when you use a slow machine or your machine's CPU is under high load.

Fortunately, with your samples I should not need to reproduce the deadlock as I can figure out where the deadlocking is occurring from the samples and rework our code to prevent such the deadlock.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Patrick.

I did have a lot of apps running, and I'm not working on the fastest of machines. (1.42 GHz iBook G4).

If I see more hangs, should I keep posting samples, or do you have enough data at this point?

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
If I see more hangs, should I keep posting samples, or do you have enough data at this point?

I think that I have enough data for now. Only after I have a possible fix and post test patch should I need new samples.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think that I have fixed this bug and I have posted links to a test patch in my last post in bug 3425.

Can anyone install the test patch in that bug and tell us if this bug is fixed for you?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject:

I'm downloading it now, and will install ASAP. I haven't seen any more hangs in the mean time, so it may be hard to give you a definite "Yes, it's fixed" answer, but I'll try to find some time today to do some copy/pastes from the same Calc documents where I first saw the problem and see if it recurs.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I'm downloading it now, and will install ASAP. I haven't seen any more hangs in the mean time, so it may be hard to give you a definite "Yes, it's fixed" answer, but I'll try to find some time today to do some copy/pastes from the same Calc documents where I first saw the problem and see if it recurs.

IIRC, your samples showed that OpenOffice.org's grammar checking code was doing some work whenever you experienced a hang. Do you have a third party grammar checking extension installed with NeoOffice? If so, can you turn it it on in Calc while you use the test patch?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject:

Yes, I installed the LanguageTool extension that is discussed in this thread.

I recently turned the grammar checking off. I'll bet that's why I haven't seen any hangs recently. I'll turn it back on and see what happens. I'll try to get around to running some tests with Calc this afternoon, but I've got some work things I have to get done first.

Lorinda

P.S. While I get an error message occasionally with LanguageTool, it does still work for me.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
P.S. While I get an error message occasionally with LanguageTool, it does still work for me.

I don't think the grammar checking is doing anything wrong. I think that it merely adds some CPU load which, in turn, slows NeoOffice down enough that the deadlock is more likely to occur.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject:

I turned grammar checking back on (including check grammar while typing).

I've been working away with some Writer documents this morning, and Neo just crashed. I'll attach the crash report.

Immediately before the crash, I had copied a couple of paragraphs from one open document. I hit command-~ to shift to another document (based on a template and still untitled as I had not yet saved) and Neo crashed.

It felt like it took longer than usual for the crash report to come up. I don't think I even got the usual "restart, report, quit" dialog, although I might have hit report without even thinking about it.

I'll leave my setup as is for the moment. Do you want additional crash reports if Neo keeps crashing? If it's happening too frequently, I'll have to turn off grammar checking and/or roll back the test patch so I can get my work done.

Let me know if you want me to try either of those for testing purposes.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject:

A little more info...I just discovered that the text I tried to copy to the clipboard didn't make it to the clipboard, so the crash may have happened at the point of the copy command, rather than at the point where I tried to switch windows.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject:

Neo crashed again, this time just after a print command (although the item in question did print). Since the Exception and Codes are different than the last crash report, I'm attaching it, too.

I am running pretty low on free hard-drive space (about 3.4 GB...I try to keep it between 5 and 7 GB free). Any chance that's related? I'll try to free up some space in any event.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum